1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A guitarist is starting to annoy me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Apr 12, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

He's much older than me. He's also my friend on FB. What he's doing lately, more and more, is acting as if he teaches me everything I know. Especially on FB. I'm one of those people that posts a lot of music videos. Every time(literally) I do he comments saying things like "I can teach you," or, "Let me know when you want to learn this." I even started taking lessons a couple weeks ago, mentioned it on FB and he commented saying, "If you have questions you know who to call." There have been on two occasions in front of other people he will say "I taught this kid everything he knows." He has helped a couple theory related things click, but that's it. It's just now starting to annoy me because he is doing it more and more.

Idk what his deal is. And I'm not a very confrontational person so I don't say anything. To make it worse, he's not a very respected musician by the mutual people we know. Even though I'm not confrontational, I tend to have impulsive reactions on bad days, and I feel like I might have one on a bad day and just say "DUDE! SHUT UP! I TAUGHT MYSELF EVERYTHING I KNOW! LEAVE ME ALONE!" lol

2. tbear1776

tbear1776

It sounds like that may be the only way. If you do , don't be surprised to hear something like " what an ingrate to treat me like that after all I taught him"
    Also, if this is only on facebook, unfriend him and check your settings so he can't see what you post.

Good luck!

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Yeah...I can't stand it when someone gives you a bit of helpful advice, and the next thing you know he's hovering over you like a proud papa and telling everyone how much you're indebted to him. A little helpful advice doesn't make you my sensei!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Unfortunately you can't unfriend the guy it would crush him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gluvhand

Gluvhand

Let it crush him. The alternative is the OP being unhappy and on edge. Music is not fun that way.

7. Matt Lake

Matt Lake Supporting Member

Or ...just don't worry about it. People who know you and people who know him figure it out in the long run. You probably don't even need to say anything.

8. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Instead of doing passive aggressive tthings, why not speak with him about it and let him know you're not comfortable with this not so subtle way of him asserting his status over you.

9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Or you could post "I must remain very tolerant of my Guitard friends" on FB. He might get the hint?

10. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Here suey suey suey. Heeeerrrrrre suey suEY SUEY!

:bag:

11. zontar

zontar

Just reply to him in a similar manner--but don't necessarily offer your services as a teacher--unless you want to.
    When he posts anything-no matter how trivial or mundane--tell him you know someone who can teach him.

See if he gets it.
    If he does--great!
    If he doesn't, well then talk to him.

12. ggunn

ggunn

Turn it around on him. The next time he does it in front of people, say "Yeah, right" and laugh. When he tries to assert that he's not joking and he really did teach you everything you know, laugh harder. Rinse and repeat until he gets the message.

13. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Lol @at suggestions...the thing is when he's not talking music he's actually not a bad person to hang around. I probably will not say anything. I think other people know he's sort of full of it haha

14. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

Tell him in person or just reply to his facebook comment with something nice like "You have been a big help in getting me started, but you are not my mentor or guitar instructor so please stop with the untrue comments". It's easy to be nice and direct at the same time.

Eric66 likes this.
  15. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Yeah. When he siad "if you have questions you know who to call." I should have said, "Yeah, my bass teacher." lol

16. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Yeah, If you aren't replying to him then it probably won't take long for everyone to realize he's just one of those annoying and weird facebook douchebags.

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm, egos. Try this - post something on "his" FB page that sounds totally like crap and thank him for teaching you everything "he" knows. :D

I'm only joking. Personally, I'd just shine it on.

Cheers

18. Ralph Walker

Ralph Walker

"Yeah, he taught me a lot of things, then I found a teacher who taught me how to do it the right way!"

19. champbassist

champbassist

Put him on your 'Restricted' list without unfriending him. That way he won't be able to view anything that you don't share publicly and, thus, won't be able to comment on them either (this assuming you don't share your videos with the public, by default). You can't really control what he says about you - if he's hell bent on telling others made up stories about having taught you 'everything' you know, but you can prevent him from taking the opportunity to mention this on the videos you post.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

When he says that he taught you everything you know, retort with, "... and it was worth every penny I paid for it (i.e. nothing)!"

Find something that you do better than he does, & come back with a comment about you having taught him everything he knows about (whatever).

21. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

There are a lot of ways to deal with something like this, and most of the obvious ones have been covered. You said he is a good guy otherwise, have you considered that he really is trying to help? Take him up on his offers to teach you something, it's not costing you anything, right?

As for him telling others that he taught you everything you know, I have to ask, is he a guy with solid musician creds among other players? I don't know either of you from Adam, but it is possible that he is trying to give you cred by association.

The fact that he is really being consistent about this doesn't sound like he's being a jerk to me... especially when he's offering to actually teach you something. Free lessons is free lessons.