1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A Jazz Advice for Me

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by giorgi, Sep 11, 2011.

1. giorgi

giorgi

Hi Mr Johnson,

I play an electric bass for 5 years now, have recorded 4 albums so I have quite a bit of an experience but, my “problem” is that I need (or just want) to have deeper understanding of theory, I know the basics (notes, standard scales and stuff) but now I’m getting seriously interested in jazz music and would like to try making my first steps into serious jazz.

I’d like to know more about scales, modes, progressions, non standard approaches and other stuff to make my lines multiform and more interesting, because when I listen to some famous bassist and notice a cool moment in his solo or grooving I become a bit jealous :) and I wish I also had something like that put somewhere in my line;

So, I need a little assistance in choosing a right source for me, because I’ve already purchased a few of teaching materials but they aren’t what I was looking for.

Again, I’m getting interested in jazz and would like to gain theoretical and even practical knowledge in this genre.

Thank you

All the best!