A Legit Reason To USe a Fender Decal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LikeRaphael, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael

Well, I think so -- others will not I'm sure.

It isn't because i want to pretend I have a Fender -- I have three.

It's not because I want to feel I can afford a better instrument -- I own some very expensive ones.

It's not because I would try and sell it as a Fender -- that's just wrong.

It's because I really like the Squier J Deluxe and would prefer to use it on certain jobs and recordings ...HOWEVER...there is a stigma about using what some may consider a "hobbyists" instrument. That can put 2 strikes against you from the start. They see that "Squier" and they get nervous. They see Fender and they're secure.

Yeah, yeah, I let my playing speak for me. And I actually think it's kinda cool that I can make a $300 instrument sound better than a lot of $3000 instruments. But heaven forbid, if something goes wrong, people will assume it's because you're using a cheap entry level bass. If it's a Fender -- sorry guys, I have a short. And no one would blame me.

Call it justification -- I call it business.

And oh yeah, you won;t believe how many compliments I get on my sound when using that bass. Totally stock. It really is something special.
  2. nickrs540

nickrs540

I get it, but If I was in your situation I'd rather just take the logo off completely before putting a Fender one on. Or maybe put a custom one with your name or something. Either way they wont think it's a squire and then you aren't trying to pass it off as a "fake" fender to the people that care about that kind of stuff.
  3. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael

Valid point. But since Squier IS a Fender company....

And a headstock with no name looks weird to me.
  4. Woofer

Woofer

By that logic, one could go ahead and put a Fender decal on a Gretsch or Jackson. But why would you need to fool someone into thinking either of those was a Fender?

I don't understand the need for deception at studio gigs. If they're paying you to be there, then play what they tell you. If you're paying them for the studio time, then play whatever you want.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Call it Posing.
  7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Exactly.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's a silly reason. A legitimate reason would be that you have a Fender instrument that needs to be completely refinished or restored and you have to replace the decal as part of the restoration. Your reason smacks of self-consciousness over a trivial issue.
  9. Kenzy

Kenzy

I like to impress my friends with my new Fender microwave.
  10. wilfredes

wilfredes

Great thread! Also my favorite view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I bought a Mitey Mite neck on ebay for a Franken P. Came with black hardware and a 70s Fender logo. Better than nothing and it works for me.
  12. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Most of those people who make the phoney Fender decals also make custom decals. Have you ever thought of having a custom decal made with your last name or some cool word or name? You can choose hundreds of different fonts, include the same font used by Fender.
  13. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

I play at a jam session on Tuesday nights were an older gentleman always asks to sit in on bass.

He is a former board member of FMIC. Longtime board member.

Last Tuesday I took a Warmoth jazz bass that has Fender decal on it from the previous owner. Gentleman asks to sit in and plays it.

"You know, I used to make these." He says when he's done.

"Nope, its a fake" I tell him.

"Ha. Should have known, it plays too nice".

If that dude doesnt care about the decal, why should anyone?

People have replica kit cars, motorcycles, etc. I'm not trying to pass off a bass as something its not. The Fender decal does complete the look correctly for a lot of people. Its part of the way the bass should look.
  14. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    That's what I did...

Attached Files:

15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

So, you know one of the board members that didn't care about quality control back in the day.

Do me a favor and give him a nice b-slap next time you see him.
  16. edbass

edbass

Let me finish your thought for you;
    "It's part of the way the bass should look" if you want to deceive people into thinking it's something that it isn't.

The only reason to use an illegitimate logo on a "knock off" anything is to deceive people into thinking you have what you don't.
    Either to defraud them, or to falsely enhance your credibility/status/fiscal wherewithal, etc.

It can also speak volumes about an individual’s character and/or ethics in matters beyond the particular item in question, e.g.; I have no issues dealing with an associate wearing a Timex or cheap digital watch but I wouldn’t even consider entering into a serious negotiation with someone wearing a fake Rolex.

I think the generally applicable term is "poseur". :D
  17. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

What's a good decal for metal?
  18. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Fender has weighed in on this subject. This post from 1Shot1Hit should be a sticky:

19. Schlyder

Schlyder

Putting a Fender logo on a bass/guitar that isn't a Fender is pathetic.
    Trying to justify it is even more pathetic.
    It screams "inferiority complex".
    IMHO
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Every reason is 'legitimate'! Some of y'all just don't agree with them! Too bad! Get over it! Play your bass and keep it moving. Stop worrying about what the other guy is doing!
  21. GM60466

GM60466

I wouldn't do it out of respect for Leo Fender and company he created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.