1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A little help for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    So here's my story. I played guitar when I was younger from like 16-20 never took a lesson.....played power chords and just messed around. sold my strat rg-550 and amp for car insurance money. car and chickas was much more important at the raging hormone age. well that was 20 years ago and I said I really wanted to play bass. I went out bought a Fender jazz a couple weeks ago and a practice amp till I save up a little more for a head and cab. Monday I am getting it set up by a luthier with Lindy Fralin pups and labella flatwounds...( I wanted TIs but I couldnt get them in time for my luthier appointment....and I got a great deal on the labellas for $30 at GC in the 60% off bin)
    So I said before I try and learn songs I want to learn the right way and learn all the notes. (I broke that right away and learned Tom Sawyer from beginning to end! ) I have been watching youtube videos and learning the notes and doing the do ray mi's from root note to root note......does anyone have any sites or info or youtube videos on how to learn the chord notes. like off a C ...C E G C sounds great...anyone have any info how to learn all these and more? I am trying to get to intermediate level before I find a teacher. I want to get all the notes chords and runs and stuff down first.
    some advice would be great! thanks guys I learned so much reading this forum! :bassist:

2. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    sorry I posted this in the wrong forum thought it was instruction.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the best place online to learn the basics chords....I guess here is the best!

3. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

OK - scales you want - here's just one set:::

[​IMG]

Then there's the MODES:::(this is the Hungarian Mode)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I wouldn't say 'chords' are what we play - but then again some do a lot of chording only in the formations and not actually holding three or four strings at a time.

I really like The Bass Grimoire - available with the book and a DVD. .

LINK::: http://ebookbrowse.com/the-bass-grimoire-dvd-2008-pdf-d340567057

4. fearceol

fearceol

When you say "learning the notes", do you mean learning where the notes are on the fretboard ? If not, then this would be a good place to start.

Chords are made up by using every other note in a scale (1,3,5,7 etc). So in the key of C (CDEFGAB - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7), C major would be CEG (135).

A bassist plays chord tones most of the time. A chord is where notes are played simultaneously, like strumming a guitar. Bassists generally play one note at a time. When we do this, we are playing an arpeggio.

Here is a great all round site. In the link, it deals with chords and arpeggios. In the exercise diagrams, if you put the mouse arrow over the note, it gives the sound of that note.

You may also find this PDF link useful :

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music Theory - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.pdf

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Thank you for those charts! I posted this again in the general instruction section and learned so much in the past few days! That is the chart of all the playable whole step half step! Thank you as soon as I get home I am going to copy that picture...that's a great chart for learning thank you!!

7. Sni77

Sni77

Why don't you want to get a teacher earlier? I think you would benefit a lot from having a good teacher from the get go.

8. fearceol

fearceol

+1. IMO a teacher is very beneficial at the start. With all the information available, sometimes it's hard for a noob to know where to start.

A good teacher will get you on the straight and narrow
    from the start.

9. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I just figured I with this forum and YouTube and all the sites to learn bass like study bass I could get down where the notes are the chord formulas ect before I spend a couple thousand on stuff I can practice and learn on my own. Let me tell you the amount of info I have learned I have months of practicing! I want to be familiar with major and minor scales in the 1-5 frets and the 5-9 frets. I am ok with tempo since I played a couple years of guitar when I was younger.

10. repoman

repoman

So I said before I try and learn songs I want to learn the right way and learn all the notes. (I broke that right away and learned Tom Sawyer from beginning to end!)

Hahaha, this is what I thought, too, but for me it was Ramble On.