1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A Message From Flea

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bodhi, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Supporting Member

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

"Could we have plugged them in and avoided bumming people out who have expressed disappointment that the instrumental track was pre recorded? Of course easily we could have and this would be a non-issue". Thank you and goodnight all

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Actually, i think it's a well written article. Thanks for sharing it!

For the record, i would have said yes and did the gig...;)

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Well, at least he owned up to it. I can understand their position and that of the NFL.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. They did pre-record the track and not someone else doing it for them. If only they had their wireless' plugged into their guitars, this issue would not have been raised, as it would have fooled all us Musician Types that notice everything!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I don't think Flea actually wrote this message.

7. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

whatever

NFL: hey, would you guys be interested in faking a live performance for the superbowl halftime show?

RHCP: ummmmm

NFL: oh, pleeeeease?

RHCP: well, ok

whatever

8. Timmah

Timmah

Why's that? I myself don't see any reason to doubt it.

EDIT: Or was his computer keyboard not plugged in? ;)

9. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

LMAO

10. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Full text for those who want it:

11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm guessing "his people" wrote it, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I was trying to make a dry joke about Flea not writing the message in light of him not playing live.

They should have lip synced the Super Bowl performance like they did this one on MTV in 1989. It would have been much more entertaining.

12. Bodhi

Bodhi Supporting Member

I think it was well done, however I am a fan of Flea.

And yes I would have played it. Without live vocals...I don't know.

13. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

Great. First we had debate over whether they played live (as Flea noted, no one ever plays completely live at the Super Bowl — too much could go wrong), and now we have debate over whether Flea (who's clearly a very intelligent guy) wrote this thoughtful letter. Ugh.

14. P Town

P Town Guest

Help wanted: Ghost writer for lip syncher.

I love it.

I'd give my opinion of RHCP, but a lot of pop music fans got all wound up when I said I had never heard of Bruno Mars.

15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Um, how about just plug in their wireless' and just not turn them on?? Come on. There are a million ways to at least make it look close to like they were actually playing. Got to admit, Flea is still bad ass...

16. Handyman

Handyman

After reading this I both respect their decision and REALLY want to see footage of Flea playing bass with his shoe.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Personally, I have no respect for musicians who fake it. Either play it live or don't do it. Otherwise, you are just cheating the audience and opening yourself up for scrutiny every time you take the stage.

18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I know the name Bruno Mars, but I couldn't name you one song by him. I didn't realize that was even him from the photos I saw of the Super Bowl performance. He looks like El Vez, the Mexican Elvis. In the photos I saw of him before he had more of a Ben Harper/Jack Johnson look to him. Is he going in a new direction or was that just for the Super Bowl show?

Is Bruno Mars stealing El Vez's act?

19. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk

I would think that if any of us had paid to see the show instead of watching it for free on broadcast TV, we'd have an argument. If we bought tickets and went to a RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS concert and saw a pre-recorded show with unplugged guitars, then we could all be angry. This was free-broadcast distraction entertainment during the break of a FOOTBALL GAME. What are we mad about?? Something tells me that if you REALLY wanted to see the Peppers actually play Give it Away, you could go to one of their gigs and it's probably on the setlist.

And I think it holds true even in the case that someone here was actually AT the Superb Owl, as I doubt you paid for your ticket BECAUSE the RHCP's were part of the halftime show.

20. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

People who get up in arms over this need to stop taking life so seriously.

21. P Town

P Town Guest

I get it.

When I go to the circus, and a magician cuts a young woman in half, I don't expect her to actually have been cut in half.