A more modern sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by happychicken, Mar 25, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi all. I will immediately confess I am very ignorant of pick ups and preamps. I recently got a bass in trade that has a glockenlang pre with ken Armstrong pick ups. Bass sounds good I suppose but isn't really nailing the modern tone (more slap tone- lots of highs and lows with miss turned down). I really enjoy this bass and would hate to get rid of it so I am considering having pick ups and pre changed if it will help the bass get the tone I'm looking for.
    Any idea if this would help and pickup/preamp suggestion a would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like you'd like EMG's X series. BQC or BQS pre is the shizz, too.
  3. happychicken

any idea what pickup i would look at mine a 4 long by 1 3/8 high
  4. Kael

Kael

I have a Larkin with Kent Armstrong pickups (same as the ones that are in Ken Smith basses). Those pickups, at least in my bass, are pretty mid forward. Easy enough to dial out if you want to with the preamp. That being said, my Larkin is EASILY the most modern sounding instrument I own.

Maybe the Glock pre and Kent Armstrong pickups is a combo that just doesn't work for you?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. happychicken

Oh definately! I think that it's just me- eveybody loves these pickups and preamp. Just not my thing
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  8. Steve

Steve

I don't know what kind of strings you have but for me, the type of string can really help or get in the way of the modern slap thing.

If I was dealing with that, I would start with a new set of DR HighBeams and work back from there before I started dumping money and parts.
  9. happychicken

I just put a set of d'adario's on they said very bright on the package. If you think it will help ill get the dr strings.
  10. Steve

Steve

those XL's are plenty bright. if a new set of them are giving you problems, it's pretty safe to move on from there
  11. happychicken

Thanks! I was hoping the strings would help but they don't really. Would love to more recommendations on pickups and preamps.
  12. lz4005

lz4005

With those electronics and strings you shouldn't have a problem getting a 'modern' sound. What amp and cab are you using and how is the EQ set?
  13. happychicken

problem solved!!! the sound is modern. I did a set up on bass, moved pic ups and something must have been loose maybe? thumping lovely now! thanks everybody- all of a sudden these D'adario XL's are quite bright.. maybe go back to the DR coated strings