1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A more powerful tube bass amp comparable to a vintage Traynor bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 6, 2014.

1. duderus

duderus

So,

The deal is I have a great tone out of a Epifani ul with Epifani NYC speaker, with a newly tubed and cleaned up1969 Traynor bass amp. It gets pretty loud but not enough in a band setting or small venue. It's great for a coffee house/stand up setting.

Now they deal is that I do not have much experience with tube amps but I know I like them. I always had solid state and some with a pretube amp. I lover he tone of my Traynor. So, I am looking for a bigger rig.

My current gear to work with is
    8 ohm 300 w epifani 1x12
    4 oh. 600 watt NYC 2x12

(Mpulse 600 and Epifani 502 ul amps which are out of picture)

My amp I'd like to to make much louder and a bigger stage volume rig is my Traynor bass mate from 1969. What tube amp out there is comparable to this amp? I have a crush on a mesa Strategy and their 4x12 just because it looks bad a**, I have tried SVTs and liked them but not sold yet....., I am unsure of what may sound comparable. I would like the most versatile. When it comes to my Traynor I love the thump with my p bass with flats more than anything. However, I also have a mass and modulus I like to use at times so I would like one where I can dial in various tones.

So, what amp and cabs would you see in my future? Suggestions?

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

3. duderus

duderus

Just curious why and with what cab format? Is this amp special with a certain cab?

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Get a new or newish Traynor YBA300 for true Traynor tone and forget about Ampeg.

Rezdog

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

Get a newer Traynor
    The YBA-200 and 300 are plenty Loud

I use a YBA-200 with with 2 GK 212. Loud Enough to play with a JCM800 half stack and a pretty Loud Drummer.

7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, if you like the Traynor sound, get the new ones, they are relatively cheap. The YBA-200-2 is even lighter than the previous version, and 200 watts full tube at 44 pounds is not too shabby.

The YBA-300 is very loud but very big :) Also a good choice though.

8. TC.65

TC.65

Ampeg V4B Reissue. It's light for an all tube head, has an awesome tone and should be plenty loud with a 212 cab.

9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Since no one has mentioned them yet - Fender Bassman Pro 100 T and Super Bassman Pro 300 are worth a look too...

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios

11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Think how loud it would be if you bought another 2 GK 2 x 12.:D

12. PrairieDogma

PrairieDogma

The old Bass Master's had more power than the Bass Mate's. IIRC they were around 40 watts. They were usually good for a small club, but could be over-powered if the band got loud. I wonder how much of that was the amp and how much was due to the old Marsland speakers they used. Paired with a modern 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cabinet might sound pretty good, if that's what you're going for. Guitarists loved those amps, too.

13. JamNight

JamNight

I played a 1968 Traynor YBA last month and fell in love. I have ordered a new Traynor YBA 200-2. Same great warm sound, but new. 200W of tube is a lot of power. I'm super excited to get it on stage with me. The Traynor YBA 300 is a lot bigger, and comparable to the SVT. If you don't mind the size, weight, and loudness, then that is pretty sweet also.

14. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

If you have the YBA-1, you can always look out for a YBA-1A or even a YBA-3. More power and will give you that Traynor sound. I have owned a YBA-1 and currently own a YBA-3. Great amp and can be found for really cheap if looking around. I can't compare to the new Traynor's though. I hear they are not the same.

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I think those are Fendery style amps, which is a fairly common style, but Amepg V4 is entirely unlike that, different circuit. Are you using the Traynor pushed? Might be significant, if you go too much headroom, might not be about to do that any more. I'm keen on the really loud cabinets to make the most of the power option, but might not be enough. I've played about with a traynor bassmate combo, but with the output to my normal cabs might be a similar thing, if I was gonna rate one of my amps as similar but more powerful, I'd probably say the Carlsbro 100 TOP.

16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Here is a good reference for vintage Traynor amps:

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/

If you have a "Bass Mate", that means you have a YBA-2 (or 2A or 2B). Those were only rated for 15 - 25W.

The YBA-1 was rated around 45W.

The YBA-1A was rated around 90W.

The YBA-3 was rated at 130W.

And the YBA-3A was rated at 250W. I would consider killing someone to get one of these.... They are harder to find than a virgin at a Madonna concert. Anyway...

One other thing you need to know is about Traynor power ratings. Their rating is for a "sine wave" - i.e. with 0% distortion. I think other manufacturers typically give power ratings with some small amount of distortion. So, these vintage Traynor amps compare well to other amps that are "rated" higher in power output.

I have a YBA-3 and I used to also have an early 70s Ampeg V4. The Ampeg is rated at 100W (and the Traynor at 130), but side by side the Traynor would go quite a bit louder before starting to distort. And, to me, it also sounded better. Thus, I sold the Ampeg.

So, for your situation, and given you like the Traynor sound, I'd say to look for a Traynor YBA-1A (90W) or a YBA-3 (130W).

And probably plan to add more speakers, as that is what will REALLY give you more volume.

And if you find a YBA-3A anywhere, please send it my way!! :D

17. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

ps. my YBA-3 through my Bergantino NV610 is LOUD. Effing LOUD! I also have 2 Ampeg 300W tube amps and an Ampeg 810, but it's hard for me to imagine ever NEEDING more volume than what that YBA-3 can deliver.