A new demo I recently recorded- would love some feedback on the bassline

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ValentinBk, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ValentinBk

ValentinBk

Hey guys, I recently posted a new demo of a rock ballad I wrote. I would love some feedback on the bassline of the song (or on the whole song if you want).

2. Steve

Steve

can't hear the bass line

3. mogpipe

mogpipe

^ went in looking for bass, left feeling empty.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This belongs in the Recordings forum. I'll move it there now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ValentinBk

ValentinBk

This isnt exactly one of my songs where the bass is dominant (even thought I have those). I was hoping however for some feedback on the bass solo at the beginning.

7. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

Just one guy's opinion on the bass solo only - the bass solo is way too busy in light of what everything else is doing. Either simplify the guitars or the bass on that part. That will help everything come out a lot more clearly and will make a stronger musical statement.

8. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

If my opinion is to be given then the bass solo at the beginning felt too in time. Everything you were playing was directly on the beat with very little syncopation and very few rests. If you listen to the other guitarists solo's they were never playing everything in perfect time.

9. ValentinBk

ValentinBk

Care to give an example? Maybe Im missing something out..

10. Steve

Steve

A little staccato for my tastes. Sounded more executed than played if you know what I mean. I have the same problem from being classically trained. I have to really focus on making it breath and sound natural. Sometimes precision is the enemy of flow.

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I agree that there was something stilted, self-conscious and unnatural about that bass part. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I hear it for sure. Maybe it is as others say, a question of being too staccato and letting the phrasing breathe a little more.

12. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Thing is I'm being overly critical here, it's obvious your a great player and the solo itself is well put together, I'd just try and play slightly looser. It could be that whoever recorded for you quantized it slightly too much but it definitely has that sort of feeling to it. If you listen to some of John Entwistle solo's as well as blasting away at it with machine gun like precision there are moments where he will drag slightly or slur, just little tricks to make the solo feel more natural