A new pickup for my 1978 P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kelpie, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Kelpie

Kelpie

Hello everyone!

You gotta help me on this one. I know you can. YOU CAN. Just believe you can ok?

A couple of years a go I bought an american Fender Precision 1978. Unfortunately it didn't have the original pickup so I put on it a Will Power Middle.
    I used to play with a rock/funk trio where I needed a huge sound as the guitarist would play quite high and it was perfect. Now that I am playing in 4-5 piece bands, I found this pickup quite boomy and lacking definition towards the low end. Also muddy in studio situations.

The sound i'm looking for is slightly more middy and not as aggressive and that could cut through the mix a bit better.

After a whole day of research I saw that the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 could give me that tone. Any advices?

Just so you know I play mainly pop, rock (nothing too heavy), blues and the odd reggae gig.

Hope you can help!
    K

2. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

David Allen P bass pickup, it will give everything you want and more. I have tried all the different brands, Fralin, Lollar, SD, Nordstrand, Aguilar, Fender, and the David Allen's won hands down. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.
    http://www.dallenpickups.com

3. Kelpie

Kelpie

Hey thanks for replying! I heard a few audio clips and watched a few videos, i guess this pickup is too bright for me.

I'm looking for a woody sound,not too bright nor muddy.. I got suggested Lollars or SPB-1 so far..

4. miles'tone

miles'tone

If you want woody, go for the Fender Original over the SPB-1. It has everything you mentioned.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I have a '76 P, and have tried both Fender's Original '62 and the SPB-1... I picked the SPB-1, since was the better sounding of the two, IMO - it had a little better lows, and smoother highs, IMO/IME... The SPB-1 and a .1mF cap give me a nice "vintage" sound in my '76 P bass..

Fralins are very good sounding pups, as well...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

FWIW, if you have a BAII or other "hi mass" bridge, installing a Fender bridge closer to the original will definitely help get that "woody" sound...

- georgestrings

8. dropbass

dropbass

+1 for Fralin or the Duncan. The antiquities are rather nice as well lil extra $ tho

9. Kelpie

Kelpie

Thank you all for the advices! A friend has a spare Tonerider P bass pickup, can't find much about it...anyone knows anything about those pickups?

10. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

+1 on the '62 Original

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    62 Original is a nice sounding pick up. Plenty of great options available. I have Lindy Fralin pickups in one of my Jazz basses and love the sound.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-bass-pickups