1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A not so simple rackmount question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SlappahTheBass, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SlappahTheBass

SlappahTheBass

So currently I have an Ampeg SVT III Pro and a 410hlf 4x10 cab with a Zoom b2.1u multi effect unit. The zoom appearing to be on its way out and I'm interested in investing in a rack in the near future, but I'm honestly not as informed as costs and what goes into actually setting up a mount and the gear that physically goes into it..I'm not sure if this belongs more in the effect forum or not, apologies if so, but any input or help would be helpful,
    Thanks

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    What about the idea of a rack effects unit is preferable to you?

As a general rule there is a better selection of floor multi-effect units available, and they're usually cheaper and easier to control from the floor. And of course there's also individual effects pedals you can use for specific tones.

3. SlappahTheBass

SlappahTheBass

It seems more organized and safer for the gear, though just an observation..
    I do enjoy my Zoom but I'm not getting the tone I really desire out of it, do you think a pedal board would be a better alternative?

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    It may be mildly safer for the gear to be contained in one rack unit, but if you're not getting the tone you want then what good is safety? I rack some items (Compressor, Tuner) and have a pedalboard for the rest.

The effects forum is a much better place to ask specific questions about effects. As a general rule, buying individual pedals will be easier to find the exact tone you're looking for in that particular format, but more expensive, and arguably less convenient than a multi-effect unit.

5. Register to disable this ad