a P bass for the college kid

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BloodlessWar, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

So I'm a poor college kid (I recently spent 2 grand going to Iceland for a week....), and lately I have become obsessed with the prospect of owning a precision bass. My only options are to buy cheap, or to trade either my Ibanez GSR200 (not worth much) or my Spectorcore 4 string fretless. I have never owned a p bass before, but I play a wide variety of music (I can only play with a band when I do worship music).

What might you fellows do in my place? If it helps to make the decision, I find that I don't often play my fretless and I certainly don't have the skill on it yet to sound much different from a fretted instrument of equal caliber. :rollno:
  2. danroche

danroche Supporting Member

What exactly IS your price range? You can get a Precision for pretty much any price point. We need to know your limits first before we can make our completely subjective and arbitrary recommendations.
  3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

^^^
    This.

Buy used. You can get an MIM for $300ish.

If you have $600-$800 you have a ton of options from roadworns which are highly regarded to American specials and standards. I recently got a used 2011 American special that's rock solid and sounds and plays beautifully.
  4. JH Statts

JH Statts

I'll make an arbitrary recommendation... try a Squier Matt Freeman Sig. P. Amazing quality for around $370 new. I scored mine for $350 new.
  5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Find a Peavey Fury for $200 or less.
  6. danroche

danroche Supporting Member

If you want to go a bit higher and never want to worry about wanting for more, I'd suggest the Nate Mendel signature. Or the 70s Classic. Both in the $800 range.

I saw Zappa Plays Zappa last night. Kurt Morgan played a 70s Classic Precision (I think a MIJ issue) and absolutely brought the place down. Tone for days.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Save your money and just keep playing your current basses. Seriously, what's the rush?
    Since you're poor, build up your savings and just have fun playing what you have.
    Put more mids, turn down the bass and you can fake a P tone.
    Also, if you stuff sounds fine already, leave it as is. You'll be the only one to hear the difference.
  8. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

Sorry for not putting a price range. Didn't think of that honestly. The most I can imagine spending is $600 (and that is including the value that I would get from selling one of my basses).
  9. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

$600? Tons of options, but I'd go for a Squier VM. Well below your price point. Getting a used MIM Fender is a solid option as well, but IMO you're paying for the sticker on the headstock. For the money, Squier is your best bet. I had one for years (my first "real" bass), and it was great for what I paid for it.
  10. Not yet

Not yet

Grinding Guitar Center salesman I got a new Squier P Classic Vibe for $200...Fantastic bass for the money I've used w pro bands all over Chicago
  11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 on the freeman
    +1 on the fury
    Ill add another one to the pot, Ibanez Blazer and Roadstar P copies. Good MIJ stuff for around 300. I love my blazer, it does everything I would ever need a P to do.
  12. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Pretty sure I saw a used Fender US model at Guitar Center for $629 this weekend.
  13. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Squire VM Precision is around 300 and highly recommended imo, Used MIM is about the same cost if you can find one, FSR or used MIA are a little more $$$ and may be had for around 600 + or -
  14. groundhog

groundhog

You should look into SX Basses. They are great quality and inexpensive.
  15. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Sell the Ibanez for around $100 and buy a US made peavey fury. You would virtually spend less than $50 and still wind up with a great instrument.
  16. DogBone

DogBone

$600 can get you a brand new standard Fender Precision, and if you shop around you're potentially knocking on the door of several USA made versions.

However, you cannot play a Precision in a worship group, as it is properly and unapologetically the devil's bass.
  17. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite

If you end up with $600 after selling the fretless, maybe look for a used American made Fender. You won't get the money you want for the fretless, is the thing.
  18. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

Now I'm curious as to why a Precision is the devil's bass!

I'll probably shop around for quite some time as I am not in a great hurry to buy anything that I may regret. These have all been great suggestions though. I've been looking them all up as they are suggested.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Suggest posting on CL in your local area. Propose either a trade or $600 cash for the fretless bass of yours . Trade would be for a MIA Fender P-Bass.
    You'd be surprised - perhaps there's someone out there dying for a fretless bass and wants to get rid of his/her P-Bass. One man's garbage is another man's treasure as the saying goes....I got a few basses this way.
  20. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Just pointing out:

Your GSR 200 already has a Precision pickup. It's not so much you want a precision bass, as you want a better one...right?

If so, I would recommend a Squire CV or a Chris Aiken bass or something for "cheap."

After that, you're looking at the different Fenders depending on your budget.