A/P switch... Passive is louder than active?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

My bass seems to go in and out of this. One time, I switch between active and passive and the active is louder when I'm boosting things. But occasionally, when I switch, the active's volume is cut. Even when I turn the EQ up on all three knobs, it's quieter. Is this maybe a sign of the batteries going out or am I doing something wrong?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

On my Bart system there's a trim pot that allows me to adjust the gain. By default it was slightly lower than passive with no changes made to the EQ. I adjusted it to match my other bass guitars.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There is no reason for active to be louder than passive.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Well, "louder" is highly subjective, but if you are boosting and not cutting, then the amplitude of the frequencies surrounding the boost will obviously increase, which could be interpreted as "louder"...

But if your problem is intermittent, and not correlative to any particular setting, then it could be a faulty preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TDSLaBassiste

Okay, clarification. I meant louder as in when it's boosted. For the sake of the post, I'll keep the EQ flat. Usually, they're the same volume. But intermittently, active with a flat EQ is significantly quieter.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

It sounds like there might be a short somewhere if the switch to active isn't consistent. If it were battery related, you would hear distortion in the sound when the battery gets low.

8. line6man

line6man

That's what equalizers do. They are volume controls, but only for particular frequency bands.

9. TDSLaBassiste

Yeah, but it's not louder as boosted is what I'm saying. Passive is louder than when I have active even boosted all the way up on every frequency.

10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Active mode can be louder or quieter than passive mode. There are good reasons to make it quieter with the controls set flat when you run from a single 9V battery in fact. The problem is that you say that even with the EQ controls set consistently the same way the output in active mode varies. So something is off, the switch, the preamp, or, since you have to ask this question:

the battery. I would try a new battery and if that doesn't work, call us in the morning.

11. TDSLaBassiste

Go to replace the batteries, there's corrosion on the top of the batteries and the positive terminals on the clips... This preamp is about a week old, this doesn't seem normal. There was quite a bit of build up on the batteries and they're bottoms were swelled out so I assume they were definitely an issue.

What do I do to clean the terminals?

12. JustForSport

JustForSport

The best battery terminal cleaner/protector that I've used is a product called 'Fluid Film', but it can be difficult to find. Great for cars, boats, fuse holders, corrosion on terminals.
    Or brush with Baking Soda and water, then dry.
    Check the terminal to lead connections, or better yet, just replace the terminal connector, since the chrome plating is likely compromised.

13. TDSLaBassiste

Brushed it with a little alcohol last night, at my grandfather's suggestion, and dried it for a while then used new batteries and it's all good again. I'm thinking the corrosion was the issue but I have no clue what made it build up so fast as the preamp is very new.