1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A public thank you to Jerrold Tiers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by orangechicken, Jan 8, 2013.

1. orangechicken

orangechicken

This started as a PM to him, but hopefully it can encourage others.

I had low-volume distortion coming from an Ampeg SVT-III Pro and searching the web lead me to believe it might be a bias issue (this amp had been carted around sometimes not-so gently which might've given the bias pot "drift").

I found several posts by Jerrold Tiers with the info on rebiasing with just a meter (and a steady hand and a plastic potentiometer adjuster).

After reading everyone else (and even him in several posts) saying to leave it to a tech to do, I decided to ignore that (due to a time crunch) and stick with "common" sense and his instructions: average of 25mV across each of the two banks of resistors with none going over 1.5x that.

At first I was nervous when my first checks with my multimeter showed 0mV across the resistors. I verified my meter was working correctly and began to ever-so-slightly nudge the pot up, checking voltages each tiny movement.

I eventually got to an average of 18mV and my next movement put a couple into the 40mVs so I clicked it back down to 18mV. Took a deep breath and plugged it back into the cab.

The result: A buttery tone with no more distortion! :bassist:

I'm a very happy camper now, but I don't want ignorance to bite me: Is there anything wrong with me leaving it at 18mV average? The amp sounds good (and the fan speed is normal so I don't expect any heat issues).