1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A question about Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr M, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Mr M

Mr M Supporting Member

I hope this one is in correct forum.
    Soon I'll pay a visit to the states for a business trip and while I'll be there I'm planning to buy my dream bass (14th bass, hush!) Gibson explorer bass.

The Guitar Center store in the city I'm gonna visit, doesn't have it in stock. I contacted them and asked if they can order one for me. They required a down payment of 50%, which I accepted. Then when I asked about their bank details, they told me they'd require a full payment in advance.

I understand their motive for asking a down payment and even a 50% is high but I accepted. But 100%, don't you think is it too much?

Based on your experience, is it a common practice or a special treatment for me?
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

I would worry more about a refund in the case they either didn't get it in time ,sold it out from under you or it was damaged.

100% seems high .

Sounds like special treatment.
  3. zfunkman

zfunkman

First of all. We need to boycott Guitar Center and patronize independent music stores. Second, if you have to order it just order it online and avoid Guitar Center altogether. When there was a shortage of in stock Ric's you could still get one online.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Why boycott GC?
  5. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

we do?...i don't think so...i love guitar center and their prices.

sure, i shop at other music stores in town, but boycott GC? c'mon.

to the op's question, i really don't know why they said they need 100%.... is the Gibson something that they carry?

[​IMG]
  6. bassbully

Agree with your GC view. They carry more guitars, equipment, effects and parts than a local shop can/will. They can get items in quickly and they also have more discounts and deals.

Some local shops IME some are downright rude and will not deal on their gear. Few back them up there selection as well as guitar center and do not have a 30day return policy.

If you don't like GC don't go in there . I support both with select shops on my list but GC works for me when I need them.
  7. zfunkman

zfunkman

In many areas they are the only music store. When they ARE the only music store everywhere see how good their prices are. If you NEED to go there fine. However, most independent music stores will beat GC prices and we will be better off with more music stores rather than just one big one. SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES!
  8. bassbully

I do supoprt locals but don't agree with your views. If a GC is the only store in the area then prices will reflect that since they are the only choice for musicians in that area..what's wrong with that?

Trust me they (GC) have to compete with internet sales. The locals have a limited selection and can't begain to touch GC buying power so in my case the locals are always higher but feel they give you better service, setups etc (again not always true)

In the 90's I owned a speciltiy shop allot like what a local guitar shop would be. I did ok till Walmarts and others store with huge buying power were selling their lines at my cost and often below it.

Sure some stuck by me since I was known in my area as an expert in my field but trust me when the dollars count they went to the big chains for the items and left me hanging until I was forced to close.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bear in mind that the OP in in Istanbul, just visiting the States, so it is not constructive to talk about "supporting local stores" here. Local to him is Istanbul. GC is just a big American shop that can special-order him a Gibson. It would probably be much more difficult for OP to identify other smaller US companies that could reliably place that order for him.

To the OP, I do think 100% payment in advance is a bad deal for you, but I can also see why GC would insist on it. They do not know if you are really coming to pick up the order, and they do not want to be stuck with an expensive new Gibson in inventory that may not sell for a long time. They are in bad financial shape as a company, so they want to minimize risks and expenses.
  10. johnson79

johnson79

As long as they're willing to refund you 100% if it falls through somehow I'd avoid that situation. What city will you be in? Maybe another shop can get it. Or is it a GC exclusive? Maybe another TB'er can help you out locally???

As for GC, there are zero (worthwhile) independant shops in my area anymore. There used to be a bunch. I don't really think GC put them out of business, since most were waning before GC opened.

Good luck on getting the bass!
  11. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

D**N good answer!

[​IMG]
  12. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Why, so I can pay $46.95 plus tax for a 4 string set of D'addario chromes? That's what my local store charges. I'm all for supporting local stores, but to basically pay double? I work to hard for the "play money" I have to pay double what I have to for consumables.
  13. Mr M

Mr M Supporting Member

Thanks for all replies, especially to Bongo who explained all. :hyper:

I'm going to Corpus Christi, TX and as far as I could locate, there is only one big shop called Sound Vibrations other than GC and I don't think they are carrying Gibson Explorer Bass.

The bass I'm gonna buy is $899, not a crazy expensive one, but they told me they never got that specific bass in their store before, so local market can be more toward more traditional basses (jazz, precision, sterling etc.) and they want to be on safe side if I won't buy it.
  14. zachoff

zachoff

Yup, screw those guys. They take horrible care of their instruments and prey on the ignorant and misinformed. Strings & stands? Sure, in a pinch. Basses, guitars, and amps? Nope.
  15. zachoff

zachoff

www.wildwoodguitars.com is a great place to buy Gibson basses... And they take impeccable care of their instruments. It'll arrive to you set up and ready to play.
  16. Disaster Area

Disaster Area I can't think of anything to put here. Supporting Member

Too bad they only have 3 Gibson basses listed on the website. :(
  17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

In my area I find that not to be true and I remember before the internet and before big box music stores local music stores had the monopoly and if you didn't like their prices they told you don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out and if a local music store concentrates on quality service and offering items guitar center does not carry they will survive. I hear this all the time but people fail to realize that these stores employ local folks with families who pay taxes and shop in the community?
  18. zachoff

zachoff

They can, and do, special order.