A question about stacked or "boosted" distortion.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Nov 23, 2013.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I'm using a Rusty Box preamp with an OCD via LS-2 for my current band's main sound (only bass/drums) and very recently I started cranking the gain on the Rusty and using the OCD at slightly above noon on the drive and I've completely found the tone I've been searching for, high gain, very crunchy distortion that has note definition, still slams on string attack, and chords sound huge and bright. The only problem with this is that I have no clean tone anymore. I don't feel like I NEED it for this band in particular but I do think it could be restricting in the long run.

So my question is, if I used an overdrive like the fairfield barbershop and set my EQ for a more clean tone, would it come close to what I've found by cranking the gain on the Rusty?
  2. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Not quite what you were asking, but have you tried running thru the LS-2 with nothing in the second loop and using it like a clean blend? I do this with my fuzz pedal and it really helps.
  3. IncX

IncX

how can you not have a clean tone? just try putting the Rusty Box and the OCD together on one channel, then you can switch to the other channel for your clean sound.
  4. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Well, that's exactly what I said I was doing, except it's not a "clean" blend.

I don't know what I stated that would make you think I wouldn't have tried that :rollno:
  5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you want a boost kind of distortion, try the devi ever dark boost, the mad professor blue berry, or the zoom ms-60b.
  6. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I apologise. I'm not very bright.