A question for IEM users

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Codger, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I had some impressions made today. When that goo was in my ears I couldn't hear anything at all and I expect that without any signal to the IEMs it will be the same way - no ambient sound.

What do you do between sets - take them out?
  2. dreads311

dreads311

Yes. If the club is loud, they can double as earplugs.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I take them out on breaks and let them dangle over the front of my shirt. Most other musicians I know do this as well.
  4. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

IEM with molds are not as effective for blocking sound as the Gooo you had in your ear the other day.

Yes I take them out between sets.

A good thing to have are shotguns (Or ambient mikes) in the IEM mix to leave a little room feeling.

Register to disable this ad
  5. WalterBush

WalterBush

I take mine out between sets unless it's REALLY noisy at a venue. +1 on the ambient mics as well, though I tend to use drum overheads and the singer's vocal mics run just a little hot in my ears for that.
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Yeah, letting 'em dangle on your chest is a good way to let patrons know "you're in the band." Even if they look kinda gross. Be sure to wipe the ear wax off.
  7. the explode man

the explode man

Just a couple tips: you are going to get a ton of ambient sound from drum mics and the singer's mic, so I really wouldn't worry about a "crowd mic".

Buy these: http://lloydhearingaid.com/accessories/220/comply_soft_wraps_10_pack

Seriously, they improve the seal and keep them very snug in your ears. This helps so you keep your bass frequencies (no seal = no bass), and you don't have to pump up your volume into your ear to cancel out all the extra stuff that is getting in that you don't want.

And yes, the dangle method is a must between sets:

Hot lady: Hey there, what are those dangling from around your neck?
    Codger: Oh these? Don't worry about it, I'm a serious musician.
    Hot lady: I think we should copulate after your set.
    Codger: Meh, we'll see.
  8. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Thanks for all the tips. We just got this fancy Qu-16 board and I should be able to use one of the stereo mix outputs for my monitor send from the board. If I do it right that may be all I need except for some kind of limiter/headphone amp.

I think we have a couple of spare inputs I can use for an X-Y stereo mic to provide an ambient feed. That can replace the digital recorder we always use to record the shows from some distance out in the venue.

Just some random ideas - I am sure I will have to futz with it.