1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A question for the 6x10 guys

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by remainthesame, Nov 19, 2013.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

I've been toying with the idea of getting a couple of 610hlf's. ;)

Do you think one, both, or neither would be able to fit in the back of an average sedan?

Just by eyeballing it, I'm pretty sure Id be able to put one in the trunk (its a big trunk) and one in the back seat, but I thought Id ask you guys about your experience with transporting these wonderful cabinets. :hyper:

Note: Ive notice threads involving anything bigger than a 410 tend to end up being swarmed by people asking why you would ever need so much speaker. Or why would you deal with the weight. I'm not trying to debate about ease of transport. I know I can dead lift these things by myself. So please take the "my vertically stacked 210 is all i need" elsewhere.

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I have easily placed an Ampeg 610hlf in the back seat of a four-door SUV, so I think one will fit in a standard sedan.

However, after comparing its performance to a Bergantino NV 610, I placed the Ampeg on Craigslist. ;)

3. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

I used to haul mine in the back of a 98 Jeep Cherokee, and later, after a freak rain storm popped up, discovered it also fit into the back seat of my 2000 F150.

4. inri222

inri222

The 610hlf costs and is almost the same dimensions as an 810e. For that I would get the 810e. That's just my opinion, not a fan of the hlf tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I fit mine in the back of a chvey aveo, so as long as you have doors that swing wide enough it shouldn't be an issue. The 610 has side handles so my method used to be to tip it on its side, grab the handle and lift the bottom end into the back seat, then push it across. Very effective. I was able to fit a flatback 8x10 in that car as well. Doubt a full size modern 8x10 would have fit, but I've known people to get those across the back of a nissan, so I guess it depends on your definition of average.

7. remainthesame

remainthesame

i should have been more specific. its a 2007 chevy impala

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I say go whole hog. Get a van and run four off of a power amp...

9. remainthesame

remainthesame

as much as id love to do that, a van just isnt in the budget at the moment.

10. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

haha, go big or go home!

fwiw, i have a buddy who fits his 810e into the back seat of a newer ford taurus with relative ease. the impala being a similar car i cant see you having a problem. however putting one in the back seat AND in the trunk idk. you would have to measure the trunk and cab and see if it will fit.

11. remainthesame

remainthesame

youre right. im going to break out the tape measure here in a little bit. im almost positive it will fit in the trunk though. ive fit a couple of dead bodies in there before:bag:

12. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

I would be more worried about the weight of having the pair over the back axle... You don't want to drive the whole way to the gig with your tail sparking all over the road

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As heavy as the cabs are, they are about what an adult weighs. Its not like putting two extra bodies in the back seat disables the car...

14. remainthesame

remainthesame

theyre only a hundred pounds or so. i weigh 300 and ive sat with my 200 pound buddy in the back seat with no problem.

15. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I put my NV610 in the back of my GMC Jimmy. It's fairly easy to do, but I would think that dead lifting a cab that size in and out of a trunk would be difficult.
    Wish I could help regarding the cab fitting the back seat...
    Good luck...
    Fishheadjoe

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    my old 610hlf fit perfectly in the back seat of a Mazda protege, and a Honda accord.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You must have a giant trunk.... I could never even get a 410 in any car trunk, hatches only. Bass cabs have too much depth. I used to have my borrow my mom's SUV to move my 610... she gave it to me a couple years ago so now I do not have to borrow it... Some of the stuff guys get into their cars on here make me think some fellows could fit one, I would not think there is near enough cubic space for two 610s even by the best of packers.

18. remainthesame

remainthesame

you should see this trunk. i have fit all sorts of huge things in there. i have fit a 410 in there with 4 different amp heads and four guitars (mine and the 3 guitarists) and i still felt like i could have fit a few cymbal stands in there but the drummer protested.

with that said, i could be totally wrong. im going to measure when the car gets home and see what i can do. but my eye and past experience tell me that it should be able to fit. but then again my eyes have been wrong before.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Dang, that is a trunk for keeping bodies... :D My 610 had a smaller foot print than any of my 410s, so I would be shocked if you could not get at least one in there but measurements never hurt. If you get both in there, you must post a pic.

20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Where are you going to put the rest of your stuff?

I'll be the one to ask...why the need for two 6X10's?

21. agreatheight

agreatheight

Measure twice, purchase once. With that said, I like other 610s much better than the Ampeg.