1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A Question For You Ice Hockey Guys....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

As some of you may or may not know (or care), I'm a football loving Brit. I'm 45 this year and have been in love with the beautiful game since I was 7. Football has been one of the few constants in my life and has given me times of great euphoria and deep despair in equal measure. I will take my love of football to my grave.

So, having just listened with great fascination to an hour long radio interview with some American ice hockey player from a previous era talk with passion and fire about a game he once played in - I think it was against the Russians - I thought I'd ask the good folk of TBOT to enlighten me.

Assume I know nothing and talk to me as if I were a small child.

1) The Winter Olympics. Will you be watching? Are you excited?

2) Do inter-state rivals during the season briefly suspend hostilities and unite behind the national team?

3) Is there debate and discussion about who should/shouldn't play?

4) Do the press generally remain supportive?

5) Is TV coverage ubiquitous or are just a few select games televised?

6) As a hockey lover, do you watch any game, even if the US aren't playing? Do you admire the skills of players from different countries?

7) Is it a big deal if you win a gold medal?

8) Who are your main international rivals and why? Russia? Canada?

9) Are there any US players on the national team that play outside the US?

10)....and finally, is it as easy as it looks? :)

Thanks for your time.

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Hey bub, there ain't no American hockey players of note. They're all Canadian.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

1)Nope, I support human rights so I will be one of the many boycotters (not debating or forcing my point of view, so don't bring it up)

2)I am Canadian, so yes, everybody rallies around Team Canada, the same is also true for the IIHF world juniors.

3)In some circles yes, there is less controversy than last olympics time's team.

4)Painfully so

5)Depends on if you have cable, I use bunny ears and our current government has made a point to kill public broadcasting, the CBC; the CBC carries all the coverage without having cable tv

6)US hockey... HA! ;) I personally like to catch any game, I enjoy watching good hockey at even an amateur level.

7)Not to me, but there is a ton of public pressure on the Canadian teams to assert dominance, especially after our weak world junior performance.

8)Russia, and the Swedes are more threatening than the States

9)I don't know

10)Skating and playing is easy, stopping on skates is what separates the men from the boys.

4. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Hardest game in the world. You have to spend years and years just to be able to skate well enough not to embarrass yourself. It's chess at 30 miles per hour. Incredibly hard sport.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Great questions!

BTW: Football as in soccer, or football as in American Football?

I love (American) football, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball in that approx. order.

I usually very much look forward to the Winter Olympics. My favorite player is Kyle Okposo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Okposo) and he was outright SNUBBED by the rubbish that picked the American Team. Unfortunately, because the NHL is an American league, folks play favorites...and players get outright punished because of it. SO...yes, I usually VERY much await the Olympics, primarily because of the hockey...but I watch with a heavier heart this year than most. (My other favorite players; John Tavares is playing for Canada; Michael Grabner and Thomas Vanek are playing for Austria.) So indeed it gets weird.

2) Do inter-state rivals during the season briefly suspend hostilities and unite behind the national team?
    When you say "inter-state," I guess you mean those players from NHL Teams. I do believe that most players take their country of origin much more seriously, than the city/state they happen to "work" in, in the NHL. The latter surely pays for their lavish lifestyles, feeds their kids, takes care of their families...to that end, the NHL Teams they play for are extraordinarily important to them, and certainly is a brotherhood they cherish and respect greatly. But their countries, I believe...for those weeks, it means EVERYTHING to them, that's all that matters at that time.

3) Is there debate and discussion about who should/shouldn't play? See above ;) There are other players snubbed, too; not just American, but very many Canadian players too. St. Louis from Tampa Bay, for instance. And many others....

Depends on the country I suppose. American press loves rivalry, and loves controversy. Russia also loves controversy; Putin publicly decried the last Olympics, because it was played in N. America, and the Canadian and American teams made it to the Gold Round. Why is that controversial? Ask Putin.

From what I recall, select games are played here in U.S.

6) As a hockey lover, do you watch any game, even if the US aren't playing? Do you admire the skills of players from different countries?
    Definitely! To both. Like in Premiere League, most players in NHL are from other countries and continents. If we didn't enjoy non-American players, that'd be VERY limited!

If you ask ME, it WAS a bigger deal before they let in NHL players. I.e. the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics game...that is likely what you are referring to above. Americans beat the Russians in the next-to-last game (most people think it was the game for the gold, it was not; I believe we beat Finland for the Gold?) See, don't remember! All that counted, was that we beat the Russians! NOW...that was an all Collegiate team! NHL wasn't allowed, because they were "professional" players. Problem is, back then, the USSR existed and their players weren't allowed to be professionals in the NHL or anywhere outside the USSR! So, their VERY best players (and technically professionals in their communist country) were allowed in the Olympics. So that loophole was finally foregone, and NHL Players played in the Olympics. BUT IT'S A HELLA LOT LESS FUN! Watching millionaires play against each other. I mean, they definitely deserve to play for their countries (and they do so voluntarily, no pay); but watching a bunch of college-level kids playing against the Russians is something we'll never, ever experience again in history. (That was 1980 BTW, go back and watch some footage!)

YES and yes! Again, Russia was the biggest (by far) rival during the Cold War years. That still exists, but now it's Canada vs. USA. Far less dramatic and climactic if you ask me.

Good question? Don't think so, unless you mean an American Player that plays on an NHL team that happens to be outside the U.S. (I.e. Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadians etc.). In that case, definitely! Playing in Europe? Not at all.

10)....and finally, is it as easy as it looks?
    The hardest team sport I ever played was roller hockey...and ice hockey? Couldn't hack it on the ice, thought I'd kill myself first...VERY, very tough. Want easy? Wrong sport, buddy.

Cheers.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Hehe. Sorry if I offended any Canadians :)

Put it down to naïveté.

8. seang15

COMPLETELY, unequivocally wrong. We were (1) goal from the Gold 4 years ago (O/T loss to Canada). (But, we'd be that much closer to Gold if we get Kyle Okposo for some reason (illness to another player, etc.)

This gent knows U.S. has closed "that gap," and needs to fire a warning shot across our bow. We're not buying it. :ninja:

9. seang15

See above...it's NOT your naïveté!

10. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

And F-ing Crosby had 0 points last Olymics until the game winner in the Gold medal game. Lucky prick.

11. ZenG

ZenG

(3) "Is there discussions about who should and shouldn't play?"

In Canada?

Yes......about any hockey team.....about the NHL.....ad infinitum ad nauseum everywhere you go, every day 365 days a year 24/7

Fastest way to start a conversation in Canada......

But be careful what you say.......many of the fans are manic in their allegiance to teams.......

12. rob2966

rob2966

I am from Canada, which is a bit more fanatical than most of the US regarding ice hockey. There are regions of the US that are huge into ice hockey (generally the locations with ice :)) but baseball, basketball, and american football are definitely more popular in general.

In Canada it is pretty universally about hockey (we have canadian football, basically american football with minor rule differences) but it is much less popular.

For your questions:

1. Canadians like their winter olympics, mostly because we are actually competitive (unlike summer). The men's hockey is definitely the most important event, we seem to attach a lot of national pride on that outcome.

2. The NHL (National Hockey League) is between cities in Canada and the US and there are definitely rivals. For the most part they are put aside to support the national team in international events.

3. Oh yes

4. It varies.

5. In Canada you get to see a pretty decent number of games, especially with your home team.

6. I am not biggest hockey lover :bag: but I think it depends on which teams are playing. Internationally we are less likely to root for Russia or US since they historically have been our main rivals. We will often cheer for teams like Sweden, Finland, etc, especially if they are playing US or Russia.

7. Huge. We attach a lot of our "patriotism" to our performance in hockey. It started in Canada, we see it as our game.

8. US. Mostly because they are our neighbors, bragging rights, etc. Russia, because during the cold war they were the dominant force in international hockey, almost unbeatable. The Summit series Canada victory over Russia (1972) is a legendary moment in Canadian history (like the 1980 US olympic hockey win for American hockey fans).

9. For sure, many US players are on Canadian NHL teams (and vice-versa). Not many outside the NHL though. European teams do draw from non-NHL leagues for their olympic rosters though. Canada & US have so many talented NHL players to choose from so that pretty much is the only pool of players considered.

10. Very hard. Unlike other sports, you have to learn to skate first (not trivial) before even attempting the sport. It is also extremely fast and physical.

Check it out in Sochi this year, it is a great sport.

Later
    Rob

13. 96tbird

Now to answer as a Canadian, the only nation that gets hockey right:

1. I watch many Olympics sports. I find world junior hockey better because there's no pro players to pummel the smaller countries. It's a truer measure of hockey prowess.

2. Americans, save for the birth east don't care about hockey. Now Canadians all do rally and forgive the hated rival players on the Olympic team.

3. Yes

4.yes

5. Ubiquitous.

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. USA and Russia. Actually whoever is good and in the ice against us. One game at a time.

9. Only 24% of nhl are Americans. 52% are Canadian. Yea Americans play on Canadian teams.

10. Not in your wildest dreams. Football is equally difficult to master.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I love hockey at all levels. I am very excited for Olympic hockey. International hockey is a different style of hockey than the NHL in the USA and Canada. It is always interesting seeing players adjust to the different playing style. Part of the reason I enjoy it.

Tituscrow.....you may be interested to know I follow a professional ice hockey team in England, the Sheffield Steelers: http://www.sheffieldsteelersihc.co.uk/. They have a player on the roster who is from the same state where I live!

-Mike

15. seang15

Why in God's name do Canucks think Hockey isn't important to us Yanks!? I just don't get that?? Read my comments above. I am from NY, now live in NC. Do I NOT get hockey or know what I am talking about?? :scowl::spit::confused:

16. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

17. BadBassDrummer

BadBassDrummer

I just have two words for you: Winnipeg Jets :bag:

I will let Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Begosian, and Blake Wheeler know that they are of no note. (Of course they do play for the Jets. Nuff said.)

18. seang15

Awesome!! 4-year old from U.S.'s First State, showing 'em how it's done! :hyper:

19. 96tbird

Of course that is correct that great players come from USA, we just won't openly admit it.

Now USA gold medals. One in 1960, one in 1980. Yep. That's a rising star for sure. Six more and you'll have caught us. That's at least a twenty year span to get there. Good luck with that.

20. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Yes and yes.

There may be a few exceptions, but by and large, almost certainly yes. I also know that there are many times when two opponents get into a rousing fight during a game only to out for beers afterward. That's a bit of what hockey is. For 2 1/2 hours, you are my mortal enemy. Afterwards, you are my lifelong friend.

3) Is there debate and discussion about who should/shouldn't play?

Yes; there is always some controversy of who makes a team and who does not.

Not sure I follow; sports coverage is often biased unless they have no vested interest.

In the US, you'll get all the US games plus any medal games and a few other bigger matchups.

Yes and yes. In the summer, I watch NHL reruns of games I've already seen three times. I'll tell my wife: "they're going to score on this rush," and she just rolls her eyes.

To me, I just like the competition. Having the best players in the world playing for country produces some ridiculously good hockey. Sure, I'd love to see the US get gold, but a Stanley Cup for the Bruins is far more important to me. Then again, ask me again in two weeks...

For the US< it would probably be Canada, but Russia is up there as well. But it's been a long time since 1972.

Hard to answer your question completely because there are many non-US players who may be citizens because they are in the NHL; I don't know. But most players seem to play for their home country (where they were born). There must be some exceptions.

10)....and finally, is it as easy as it looks? :)

Hell no.

FYI, I played organized soccer up until first year of college and I'm a big fan of the Premier League.

21. BadBassDrummer

BadBassDrummer

I find ice way easier than roller as far as the skating goes.

As far as stopping goes that's what opposing goalies are used for :D