1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A quick bit of setup help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lizarddan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Lizarddan

Lizarddan

First post :).

I just bought an SX Ursa4 RN 3TS (Rondo took the product listing down recently) that's coming in monday. Looks like a jaguar, 34" scale, seems like a decent first bass.

I've played guitar for 8 years and I generally adjust action by feel, since I know what sounds right on a guitar. However, since I haven't "bassed" before, I decided to use my 64th inch increment ruler to be more precise. Now, I opted to not buy a radius gauge, as in my opinion, measuring string by string should form to the actual radius of the fretboard. Also I don't like giving Stewmac money.

The specs I'll be using are 6/64th's on the bass side, 5/64th's on treble as a baseline. My question is this:

Does bass side = bottom two strings and treble = top two?

I'm 98% sure it does, especially since the top two strings are past the apex of the radius, but I like to be thorough!

Thanks guys!

I'll write a review when I receive the bass, I bought a used Fender Rumble 100 to go with it - so I'll review that too :).

Have a good Friday!

I talk too much.

2. Lizarddan

Lizarddan

Ok, so per your suggestion

E would be 0.0938

A would maybe be 0.087

D possibly 0.082

G would be 0.0781

Of course those numbers would be annoying to measure with any confidence, but is that the sort of height decay you had in mind?

3. Itzayana

Itzayana

Then check each string at each fret to make sure they do not "buzz". If they do either raise the string just a little until the "buzz" stops or adjust the neck relief (truss bar is probably best adjusted by someone with experience).

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Dan, are you referring to string height or pickup height? My manuals recommend a consistent string height and variable pickup height. But ultimately, it's all personal preference. E'erbody likes their own thang. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

I usually decrease string height by around half a 64th (Yup... a 128th) per string so I end up with a typical setup of, say:
    E-6/64
    A-5.5/64
    D-5/64
    G-4.5/64
    It varies depending upon the bass, but that would be about the average.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

For pickup heights, I'll often start with the neck p'up pretty low and then set the bridge so it matches in output volume (it will sit much closer to the strings), then angle them until I have good string-to-string balance.

It's not rocket science, and none of these adjustments are permanent, so you can try and err as many times as it takes to get it where you like it.

8. RBellavance

RBellavance

I do the same thing. So I'm not the only one who does not follow the fretboard radius curve...

9. Lizarddan

Lizarddan

Thanks so much guys :)

I am using fender's recommended string setup height as a guideline http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

I'll let you guys know how it goes :). Realistically I'm probably going to want it a little bit higher, I have a feeling the URSA will have some buzz at that height.