1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A rare find at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cookye, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Cookye

Cookye

I was coming back from a shop up in Northern CT. that was repairing an amp head. As an afterthought I decided to stop into Guitar Center...for grins and giggles. I was browsing the bass section and stumbled, much by accident, over this used instrument.

[​IMG]

The tag was printed: Pavel Tzack custom bass. I had never heard of the company never played one. So I pulled it down and played it for a good hour...unbelievable. Plays beautifully, I threw every technique at it and it responded by producing beautiful tone and clarity complementing everything I was doing. People walked and/or stopped by gave appreciation. I was like who is this company? Then I noticed this on the headstock.

[​IMG]

That name I had heard of but couldn't place it. Written underneath the control cavity cover was complete detail of the instrument, make, serial number and (here's the big one) phone number of the builder. I jumped on my cell and called.
    Pavel picked up the phone and the conversation we had was more than interesting. He handbuilt this bass for Randy Coven, (wrote for Guitar Player Magazine played with Yngwie Malmsteen and ton of other prominent musicians). At the 12th fret the name "Coven" is inlaid in mother of pearl. Here is a stock shot that I found I compared the figuring of the wood and found a match.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My next question was... who traded this in? They didn't have a definitive answer. Maybe this person had no idea what they had before trading it.

Here are more shots and that is a kahler tremolo system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

maestrovert likes this.
  2. chef wong

chef wong Banned

Jeezy, is that solid gold for a bridge? Looks like a keeper to me!!

3. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Well...did you buy it??

Beautiful!!

SL

4. socialleper

socialleper

The name Randy Coven sounds very familiar to me but I can't remember exactly from where. That's a pretty neat looking bass though. Reminds me of the Alembic basses Stanley Clark would play. Where you able to get some info about the woods and electronics?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Pavel is a world class custom bass and guitar maker. I haven't seen a Pavel in Australia for much less than $5000. I presume you bought it for a good price? Nice find, anyway!

7. nickrs540

nickrs540

That whole bass is goregous. Can't believe someone could bring that work of art to GC.

8. bobalu

bobalu

I'm sure GC checks serial numbers/Police check on trade in's, but my first thought after reading your post was that it must have been stolen(?). Why would you trade something like that in at a Guitar Center? Beautiful bass btw.

maestrovert likes this.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Funk Me Tender...

Now that's a name I haven't heard in decades!

10. Tugboat

Tugboat

Ok...so most importantly, how much did you pay for it???

11. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Randy with what appears to be the bass:

maestrovert likes this.
  12. Tugboat

Tugboat

Wow...stolen is a possibility. You should try and track down Randy Coven and find out how it left his possession. If it was stolen he may be very grateful to get it back.

13. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Did you buy it or not?? cool and weird!

14. Tugboat

Tugboat

Ok...so was it just me or did anyone else watch that bass solo and expect Richard Simmons to come out and dance along???

15. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

It's listed at the Orange, CT store for $2,400.

16. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

This thread good get intriguing...

JPATA stole my Pavel!

:ninja:

17. Arnie

Arnie

Looks like the pictures are inside his house, so I guess he did buy it..Nice bass.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    I bought a Surine Protocol 7 ($1k), a first year gloss finish MTD 635 ($1900) and a Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass ($2500) just to name a few at Guitar Center stores. People bring all sorts of cool stuff in for all sorts of reason.

In this economy, it could just be a need to get some cash together quickly. Nice score.

19. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens

I was gonna say... Unless his GC has a kitchens section, I'm thinking he bought it. :D

20. gordon5377

gordon5377

I could be wrong but I do not think it is. Much lighter (color) wood on the bass in the video. Also the OPs bass has four control knobs while the one Randy plays has three. That is some wicked-*** playing. Looks like it was filmed in Japan or somewhere in the Far East. I laughed at teh Richard Simmons comment!!

21. afzoomie67

afzoomie67