A Really Good Reason to Play Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just spent some time jamming to early Chicago records on my Squier Affinity V Jazz bass, and I realized something.

I play because my band needs me to play bass sometimes, while our female lead singer is free to just sing.

I play because of a lot of other reasons, too.

But tonight I was playing for one reason, and on reason only:

Playing bass RULES!

Man, you can just jam out on one of these things, can't you? I was playing "I'm a Man," which is a pretty simple, but intensely groovy bass line, and I kept starting the song over because I didn't want it to end.

What fun!
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just played a gig last night, and I thought, "wow, am I JAMMING!"

I am not a technically gifted player. There is nothing I do that would blow anyone away.

That said, I was on fire, and I just feel so good about playing what the song calls for, and being on the money, rhythmically speaking.

There are ten million better bassists than me, but do you know what?

There are probably about as many or more worse bassists!
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I agree I play because I enjoy it I listen differently to songs that I play along to congrats on your revelation.