A Rick 4003 neck pickup on a P Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nightvision, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Nightvision

Nightvision

Hi,
    I would like to create a "monster", a Fender PJ Bass with a 4003 neck pickup between the P pickup and the neck (same position of a Rick 4003).

Wiring like Vol/Tone/5 way selector switch

Duncan SPB1/SJB1 for the PJ set and a classic 4003 neck pickup (or Duncan SRB1)

What do you think of this project? possible, impossible, terrible, interesting?
  2. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Interesting.
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

It takes one person to try it so that the rest of us know if its a good idea or not.
  4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

I would use the Ric high gain(not the toaster) for $75, at the bottom of this page.
    http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Pickups_c_12.html
    They cost less and put out "the Ric sound" quite nicely. You will have a VERY nice and more useful bass when completed. The Duncan basslines are excellent pickups(a Hondo/Fame bass has a set here).

One arrived here over a month ago for a Franken-Greco project involving a 3 pickup Greco Les Paul clone that Greco equips with 3 chrome T-Bird pickups. The Ric pickup will also go in the neck position on this one and a MM pickup in the rear position(leaving the Greco T-Bird pickup in the middle).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. arsie

arsie

Why use a J when you can use the Ric bridge pickup after the P pickup?
  7. Nightvision

Nightvision

That's a good question!
    In fact my project was just a PJ (or a P with 2J pickup at the bridge), but i start to think that this bass should have a neck pickup. After the DiMarzio "Mudbucker" (too big and not really my sound) i thought the best idea was a Rick neck pickup. But the PJ combo is my favourite.
    So my goal is to have a Rick/P/J

Do you think i can put a Rick bridge pickup without modifying the position of the P? Because the bass to begin, is a Fender Am Std P Bass.
  8. Nightvision

Nightvision

Thanks for the advice,
    What is the difference between the toaster and the high gain? I search a good low end gritty tone pickup to matxh well with the punch of the P
  9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Stu Cook from CCR did it year ago, P pickup didn't get moved at all.
  12. Duke21

Duke21

Kind of remind me of Dave Meroes (Spock's beard), he put 2 jazz pups in the jazz position on his Ric, so in addition to the Ric pups.
  13. Nightvision

Nightvision

UP, if somebody did that to a bass :bassist:
  14. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

He put 4 Jazz pickups on a Ric. 2 in the Ric positions, 2 in the 70's Jazz positions. The bass sounds awesome.

[​IMG]
  15. Eckie

Eckie

Agreed - pity the headstock looks so cheap! LOL
  16. Duke21

Duke21

That is is his custom bass which he uses today! It is a Rick style bass which is 34" scale with 4 jazz pups in jazz positions and Rick positions!
    But originally he had a 4001/ 4003 which he added the 2 jazz pups in jazz positions! That Rick was so worn out it fell apart... :)
    Any way he is a killer bass player with killer tone back then with the real Rick or today with his own Rick style bass.
  17. Nightvision

Nightvision

18. Duckwater

Duckwater

That's genius, I will probably get something like this made for me when I can afford it.
  19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Thats not a Ric, it only looks like one:

[​IMG]
  20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The hi-gain is wound hotter than the toaster. Some of the hi-gains are kind of dark sounding. The use a fairly weak rubber magnet on the bottom and are wound pretty hot (about 12k).

The toaster has six alnico rod magnets and is wound to about 7k (some being higher and some being lower).

I recently rewound a hi-gain for someone down to about 7k and replaced the rubber magnet with a neo to give it more zing.
  21. Duke21

Duke21

Edit:
    As I mentioned in my previous post, he had a real Rick with Rick pups at the start,
    [​IMG]
    then he added jazz pups in the 70's jazz position, as seen on the pictures from rickresource.com:
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

Later on his Rick fell apart so he build a custom Rick style bass which is 34" scale and with 4 jazz pups:
    [​IMG]