A Sad Mac Fanboy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Hi, I am Ziltoid and I am an apple fanboy.

It's been many years since I've used apple products for the first time and I am still using.

But today I am sad. And no, it's not because I do not own the latest product, it's because my MBP is giving me issues for the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea why I got that message and it seems there's not any way to diagnose this yourself. Looks like I'll have to take a trip to the genius bar (for the first time)...

My battery report seems ok tho:
    [​IMG]
  2. WashburnBasser

WashburnBasser

42 months is a long time for a laptop battery. It probably needs replacing.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Yeah, it's probably just that. But still, my report is ok, 67% of the original battery left in mAh and my battery still lasts long even if it's not as long as it used to so it's a bummer to get that message.
  4. WashburnBasser

WashburnBasser

It's also possible that the software is programmed to tell you to get service after x time or y degradation in battery performance. If you haven't really had any other issues than I would just ignore it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

The diag at the genius bar is free, I'll get it checked out as I can't be without my laptop for more than a few hours these days. Better safe than sorry.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LOL yeah PC's never have battery problems. :rolleyes:
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I can't make out what those dialogs are telling you. Does it say that there is a problem with the battery?
  10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

It's vague.

Basically the "service battery" means: "Yo, there's something wrong with your battery, you may not notice it and it will not harm your computer, but just trust us and bring it in".
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I wonder if the battery contacts just need cleaning, given their age. You could just take a look at them and see if they are still shiny. If not, a pencil eraser is gentle way to clean contacts.
  12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's just a bad battery. It's probably not user replicable? Probably has to go in for replacement. No big deal but costs a bit.
  13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

That's my guess too. I hope it doesn't cost too much to get it replaced and doesn't take much time. This is my primary work tool. And I'm not sure I'll get the battery replaced if the whole things costs over 200$, this is a 3.5 years old laptop...

Anyways, I'll hit the apple store tomorrow.
  14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Changing the battery in my MacBook is really easy. Just use a coin to turn the lock on it and let it drop out of the computer.
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Do you actually transport the computer? If you're using it as a desktop replacement, you could just run it without the battery installed. Of course the battery serves as a backup in case you have a power failure.

Lithium cells have some odd quirks, and there is a lot of smarts built into the battery to make them safe, so it might be that the computer is looking at a variety of built in sensor readings, and smells trouble. Last thing you want is for your computer to go Dreamliner on you.
  18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Definitely not a desktop replacement. I'm a college student and a part time research assistant, I'm always on my laptop and not always at home.

I'll get it checked out tomorrow or Monday at worst.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Depends which ones.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek as Mac fanboys have no problems butting into threads that don't concern them and spewing their nonsense. ;)

Replacement PC laptop batteries tend to cost less than, well, anything Apple-made.

For the record, I'm no PC fanboy. Hope the OP gets his problem fixed.
  20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's cool. I was asking because, in fact, my "business" computer is a notebook that lives permanently in my basement. It replaced an older notebook that had a long-dead battery.
  21. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

If your error message said that you may or may not notice a problem, and your computer will not be hurt, why would you spend your time/money to get it checked if you don't notice a problem?

If you don't notice a problem/shortage in battery life, apple probably just wants more of your money. If you do notice a problem, get it checked out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.