A simple reason I like Boss more than others

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Jan 23, 2013.

1. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

There's lots of things to consider of course but here's one reason I like using my BOSS pedals more than my other brands.

The size of the button! It's not even a button it's the entire lower half of the pedal! I move around quite a bit on stage and some times do a bit of tap dancing on the board. Having a huge target to hit with my foot has really saved my butt on some gigs. I hate having the tiny little dime sized target that comes with some other manufacturers.

Anyone care to venture why more builders don't use a similar design? I see no flaws whatsoever with it.
  2. calebbarton

calebbarton

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing: Pedals, Cables, Instruments.
    Untill you decide to fix one. The switch under the big hinge is plastic. Its crap when it breaks. Its also about the size of a pea.

On the other hand if all you are concerned with is a big target and not sound quality.....by all means choose Boss.
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I've never had a Boss pedal break on me. My old first gen chorus, from the 70's, is built like a tank. There may be a plastic pea sized switch in it but it's held up for over 3 decades.
  4. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

much as I HATE the ODB-3, and most new BOSS pedals, half the pedals I own are BOSS, and for good reason, they sound good (though most of my BOSS pedals are old japanese made analog stuff!)... but don't say BOSS gear sounds like crap until you've tried a PN-2, or a PH1-r or one of their older flangers...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    i'll preface this with "I don't like Boss" there are better sounding pedals for about the same price and sometimes less.

That said, that switch is called a "momentary" switch. You're useing them as you type right now. They are good to about 10 million hits, or so.

By comparison, traditional mechanical switchs are good to about 5,000 hits.

I've replaced many a mechanical switch and never replaced a momentary.

Boss is tuff. They don't sound very good, hence all the mods that make real improvments, but you can't say they aren't tuff.

The mainthing you need to think about is how you are powering them. IF you have ANY problem and call their tech support the first question they will ask is how you are powering it. There is ONLY one correct answer. They use that "PSA only" sticker as away to get around the 5 year warrenty.
  7. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Well I've used them for years and never had a single one fail. Ever. repeat, ever.

Also, I'm sure there are many boutique pedals floating around that may sound better to your ears, but I like mine just fine, sure I'd prefer a high end overdrive to my OD-3 but for the army of players that need good reliable tools that sound perfectly adequate, it fits the bill. Also there are a few useful pedals that don't even produce tone, like their tuner or their noise suppressor.
  8. metaball

metaball

Boss makes some great to crappy pedals.
    Love my RE-20, hated the MT-2.
  9. taurus1

taurus1

prince and Les Paul are just two examples of players who use all Boss boards, that's really all that needs to be said to doubters. I have changed a switch in a Slow Gear because I thought it was broken, it wasn't and it was easy to do so.
  10. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

this is rhe reason I like the LS-2 for switching channels. Beyond that I really only like the OC-2, and TU-3.
  11. necropain

necropain

my only defense of not having the boss design is that it is really hard to make true bypass with that style of pedal
  12. Meddle

Meddle

In the market for a Boss OD-20. It has two massive footswitches!
  13. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I've owned a few Boss pedals over the years and still have some (OC-2 Octave, PH-2 Super Phaser, RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay, LMB-3 Bass Limiter and Roland RE-20 Space Echo). They are tough, sound good/great/crappy (depending on YOUR needs and what sound youre going for) and overall are a good value.
  14. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

Behringer have the same kind of design, which is the only reason I own any despite the sub-par quality. I do love Boss pedals for that reason, along with their obvious reliability. The plastic switch inside has never been an issue for me - I own 5 Boss pedals, 4 of which are 20+ years old, and they've never even come close to broken. They can take one hell of a beating.
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

+1

I've owned a few, some I liked, some I hated, a few I still have and will probably own others at another time. Most guitar and bass players I know use at least some of them and I have NEVER heard someone say a Boss pedal crapped out on them. They are well built and offer great performance for the price. Not everyone agree on their sound and I'm ok with that. What works for one doesn't for the other.

For me, pedals are like pasta. Having access to different brands offering the same flavor is a blessing. Boss is good pasta.

:)
  16. kevteop

kevteop

I've had a few Boss pedals where the switch has become unreliable. Most often it's resulted in two state changes in one stomp, so the thing switches on when I put my foot down, and off again when I lift it. Not ideal.
  17. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Nobody else really makes them because Boss have the patent for the design.
  18. honotron

honotron

Don't Behringer, ibanez, beta aivin & digitech all use a similar system though?
  19. icecycle66

icecycle66

The enclosures Boss uses are hard to get. Look at another big company MXR or EHX. The Hammond style enclosuers they use are mass produced, have no moving parts, and can be gotten from anywhere.

The Boss, Digitech, and Behringer pedals (maybe a few others) are harder to produce because of the hinge pedal design. They also aren't sold nearly as widely as the Hammond style plain box enclosure.

The Boss style boxes are also a little harder to set up. Which doesn't make a big deal for a hobbyist, but anyone producing pedals on a large scale will lose a lot of time if they dont have an automated set-up for their on/off switch. The big foot pedal on a Boss box has to be able to hit that tiny little momentary swith. It has to press down on hit hard enough to engage it, and it has to be in a small range where the large pedal pushes down on the switch with enough force but not so much that you will damage the switch.
    It's easier to just bore a hole in an aluminum box and have the stomp swith stick out for your direct interaction.

As far as the true bypass thing is concerned. I've found it no more difficult to make a true bypass on/off switch than a buffered switch in regards to the style of enclosure.
  20. rr5025

rr5025

I have to say behringer pedals have the worst switch of any brand I've used. I've had two BSY-600's and both have had absolutely **** switches. It's like you need to step on the damn thing on exactly the right angle.

That being said I've never had an ounce of trouble from any boss or digitech pedals.
  21. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

+1 on the toughness issue

Used a PH-2 MIJ and BF-2B MIT, both quite old, both never fail me