A sit in at our CD release

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by VigourousJHands, Jan 16, 2013.

1. VigourousJHands

VigourousJHands

Hi,
    My band and I are planning our Cd release right now and as part of our set we decided to include Call Me Al by Paul Simon. The rest of our set is pretty bass minimal since we're a folk-bluegrass band and have no drummer (so I end up having to play a lot of 1-5 basslines and can't play around too much with the rhythm). SO, needless to say, I was pretty psyched to have such a fun bass song suggested and am learning a slighty simpler version (see: no drummer and also I don't slap).

Today, one of the band members told me one of our bass player friends is not doing so hot since he quit his band and would love to jump in and play that song at our CD release. He could do a better job than me, objectively, since he is a slap genius. But non objectively, this kinda pisses me off cause it's litterally one of 2 songs on our set where I'm doing anything remotely difficult. I'm also a girl, trying to get gigs with other bands (because this band plays approx. 2 times a year) and be taken seriously.

So my problme basically boils down to 1) it's the most fun song, in a set that's kind of boring for me. 2) it undermines me in a boys club (awww you play so good for a girl! but we got a *real* bass player in for the tough song) 3)He's a cool guy and can play it way better than me. 4) it's my first CD release.

Thoughts? Opinions on how I should react?:help:

2. electracoyote

electracoyote

I would stand my ground.

You're the band's bass player. It's your CD release party. You and your bandmates should be the focus of the music. You shouldn't detract from that by turning it into a jam with a guest who upstages one of the band members.

Just say "no."

3. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. That seems like incredibly poor form on the part of your bandmates for even entertaining the notion of having a guest bass player at your release party. Definitely stand your ground. If it were a regular gig, I'd probably still be a little irritated but I could see it happening, but definitely not at your release party.

4. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Ask to bring in a keyboardist and drummer to play songs too, because they play better then the ones in the band.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is the sit-in tune actually on the CD?

7. cnltb

cnltb

8. VigourousJHands

VigourousJHands

@PassinWind: no, our CD is all originals, but we also play covers live.

9. suddenlysane

suddenlysane Gold Supporting Member

I would be FUMING at the suggestion of such a thing! That's like asking the bride at her wedding if her cousin Abby could stand in with the groom for the closeups. SERIOUSLY?!

10. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally, I wouldn't do that at a CD release. Especially if the covers are more interesting and/or better than your originals.

11. VigourousJHands

VigourousJHands

@ PassinWind: our originals aren't less interesting ; they're just less interesting on the bass. It's a folk bluegrass band so most of our songs focus on harmonies, banjo solos, etc. This was just one of those songs that lends itself really well to lots of poeple taking solos, but that dosen't require me to chug along like a sousaphone to keep everyone in line.

PS: Thanks all. That was my initial gut reaction, but just wanted to know I wasn't overreacting.

PPS: Just contacted the band member and let him know I wasn't cool with it and he apologized and agreed with me that it was an idea that didn't have any place at our CD release.

12. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you got it resolved. I was going to suggest just throwing the other bassist some other tune you're less attached to.

13. VigourousJHands

VigourousJHands

Yeah that would have been a good concession. I basically just said I would be open to discussion with him doing it with us at some later day at a more casual show, but that it would be weird at the CD release.

14. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member