1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A sound question to the "Marcus Miller 5" owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LOOVY, Dec 9, 2012.

1. LOOVY

LOOVY

Few days ago I played on a friend's "Marcus Miller 5 " bass gtr ,

It had this fat Fender tone full of fundamental , with not too many overtones , just how I like it ,

A big bold round bass recording ready tone , with a shorter sustain and a very punchy tone ,

Remind me a Bass loaded with flatwound strings but it actually was a standard "Daddario" strings and they were not old , one week new or so ...

It also reminded me a bit a hollowbody sound with flats ,

Is that the signature sound of this model or it just happen to be the one I played ?

Do you recognize this sound from your MM5 ?

Thanks
  2. LOOVY

LOOVY

3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I don't own any MM5 and I only played the MM4 but I think that it must be that particular MM5. Doesn't sound like the common MM sound at all.
  4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Spaulding get your foot off the boat! Supporting Member

Was it in Active or Passive mode? Sounds like Active with only the bass knob turned up to about 2 o'clock.
  5. rimbaud

rimbaud

Normally, it should sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJl6GZLgF6o

You don't say if strings are nickels or stainless steel, or flatwounds, or even halfround. If they are roundwonds, only 2 options:
    - you didn't manage to EQ properly that bass
    - the strings were nickels and they were dead. D'Addario XL nickels can die after 4 or 5 hours if you sweat a lot on them.

I've already experienced that while lending my bass in a jam-sessions. Now I don't lend any bass cos' I want to keep my strings safe from dying to quickly. That's why I tend on the second option, more than the EQ....
  6. rimbaud

rimbaud

7. LOOVY

LOOVY

8. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

I have an MMV...Yes it FAT ! At first it's really hard for me to get the 'right' sound but i really loved the huge and bold tone of it. And yes the Passice mode is better than the Active, it had sweet vintage tone that i like. And now i've changed all the pickups and preamp so i can do gig with easily because i'm a session player. But overall im still using it until now coz i like the neck and the lihtweight body and it had a great 70s look as well...so it's still one of my favourite bass. Cheers ;)
  9. LOOVY

LOOVY

well , it looks like you also got the sound I'm taking about ,

Did you listen to the sample I uploaded from this bass ?

I'm curious to see if someone recognize this sound from his MM5 , that's a REDDI DI - ADL600 into ProTools ,

Thanks
  10. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

The link is cannot be open on my pad...so sorry :(
  11. LOOVY

LOOVY

12. LOOVY

LOOVY

Is the link ok now ?
  13. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Yes, it works now. I think it's the question of very dull wood. I have had some experience with that kind of basses. Nothing helps if the wood is low quality.
  14. LOOVY

LOOVY

Well , for some kind of music styls this sound records like a dream ;)