A sound question to the "Marcus Miller 5" owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LOOVY, Dec 9, 2012.

1. LOOVY

LOOVY

Few days ago I played on a friend's "Marcus Miller 5 " bass gtr ,

It had this fat Fender tone full of fundamental , with not too many overtones , just how I like it ,

A big bold round bass recording ready tone , with a shorter sustain and a very punchy tone ,

Remind me a Bass loaded with flatwound strings but it actually was a standard "Daddario" strings and they were not old , one week new or so ...

It also reminded me a bit a hollowbody sound with flats ,

Is that the signature sound of this model or it just happen to be the one I played ?

Do you recognize this sound from your MM5 ?

Thanks

2. LOOVY

LOOVY

3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I don't own any MM5 and I only played the MM4 but I think that it must be that particular MM5. Doesn't sound like the common MM sound at all.

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV A pledge pin!?! On your uniform!?! Supporting Member

Was it in Active or Passive mode? Sounds like Active with only the bass knob turned up to about 2 o'clock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Normally, it should sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJl6GZLgF6o

You don't say if strings are nickels or stainless steel, or flatwounds, or even halfround. If they are roundwonds, only 2 options:
    - you didn't manage to EQ properly that bass
    - the strings were nickels and they were dead. D'Addario XL nickels can die after 4 or 5 hours if you sweat a lot on them.

I've already experienced that while lending my bass in a jam-sessions. Now I don't lend any bass cos' I want to keep my strings safe from dying to quickly. That's why I tend on the second option, more than the EQ....

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

8. LOOVY

LOOVY

9. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

I have an MMV...Yes it FAT ! At first it's really hard for me to get the 'right' sound but i really loved the huge and bold tone of it. And yes the Passice mode is better than the Active, it had sweet vintage tone that i like. And now i've changed all the pickups and preamp so i can do gig with easily because i'm a session player. But overall im still using it until now coz i like the neck and the lihtweight body and it had a great 70s look as well...so it's still one of my favourite bass. Cheers ;)

10. LOOVY

LOOVY

well , it looks like you also got the sound I'm taking about ,

Did you listen to the sample I uploaded from this bass ?

I'm curious to see if someone recognize this sound from his MM5 , that's a REDDI DI - ADL600 into ProTools ,

Thanks

11. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

The link is cannot be open on my pad...so sorry :(

12. LOOVY

LOOVY

13. LOOVY

LOOVY

Is the link ok now ?

14. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Yes, it works now. I think it's the question of very dull wood. I have had some experience with that kind of basses. Nothing helps if the wood is low quality.

15. LOOVY

LOOVY

Well , for some kind of music styls this sound records like a dream ;)