1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A string buzzes, and I can't find the problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Anaminus, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Anaminus

Anaminus

Hello everybody, I just bought a brand new bass from Yamaha (RBX170 III) After setting it up properly, there is one problem left. Whenever I play the A string (Open or fretted) It gives this buzz that is extremely annoying.

I have checked if it touched some frets but this is absolutely not the case, I have checked if the nut is too big, but this was not the case either. I have also tightened every tuning knob to make sure that they aren't loose. But nothing seems to work :mad:

Do any of you have suggestions on what else I could do?

2. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    Bad string possibly. I have run across the same thing before.

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Is the A string wrapped around the machine head a full 3 wraps?
    Have you recently adjusted the truss rod? Was it that way before? Try just tightening the truss rod about 1/8 turn and see if it affects the buzz. also make sure all saddle screws are touching base plate of bridge. Also do an all over check for any thing loose.

4. Anaminus

Anaminus

If its a bad string, how can you recognize this? Also do bad strings occur on a brand new bass guitar?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Anaminus

Anaminus

I have never noticed this but the A string is not wrapped around the machine head 3 times, just about 2,5 times. Could this be the problem?

7. thedude08322

thedude08322

I recently had the same problem. I put a new set of flats on my Jazz Bass and the A string would buzz like crazy. It was indeed a beat string. Replaced it with a new one and problem solved. First time that ever happened to me.

8. NYCbassist

The more wraps the better because it gets a better downward pull on the string across the nut(String Break). As suggested it could be that or just a bad string. If you have one to try, I would do that. I always leave my A strings as long as possible so they wind right to the bottom of the tuner. It helps a whole lot on Fender style headstocks(4 inline tuners).

9. Anaminus

Anaminus

Thanks, everybody! I think that I am just going to buy a new set of strings to see if that fixes the problem :)

10. NYCbassist

That can't hurt. Just go extra long on your cuts so the strings wrap all the way down on the shaft ;).

11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I have also had a bad string which buzzed. A new string fixed the problem.

12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Occasionally, a worker may twist as string when installing it. Many things can go wrong with. Your bass was made in Japan. It travelled across the ocean, has been handled and warehoused and handled some more, etc.

Usually, It is desirable to put new strings on after delivery. Often the strings may be fine and often they aren't. They certainly are not fresh new strings, ever.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

You can try swapping A and D string temporarily (tuning to string's correct pitch or course),
    then you will know if it was a bad string or not.
    On a new set of strings, I add 4"-5" length past tuner peg before crimping then cutting.
    This allows the wraps to go to bottom of tuner peg which increases the break angle over the nut as 'NYCbassist' prev said.
    After I tune 'em all to pitch, I loosen them 1 at a time till the ball end is free (to be sure there is no twist), then tune up to pitch.

14. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Try twisting the string (even just a 1/4 turn) clockwise at the bridge.
    I had this problem often with DAddario. Somehow the outside wraps loosen up and the core rattles inside.
    Easy try and doesn't cost anything

15. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

It can work but don't twist far because if you force a permanent twist in the core it will be killed. You just want try it with your fingers until you feel a little resistance. Loosen the strings I you can feel the ball is loose turn until you feel the tension and hold it as you tighten the string up. If it doesn't help get new strings. And please read up on how to properly install strings because you can kill them if you do it wrong. There's a few details you need to know.

16. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    hence the 'even just 1/4 turn'

17. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    Before you buy a new string, you may want to check that the intonation spring is long enough and is being compressed. If it's too short, it will rattle against the intonation screw and the saddle. If that's it, just take the spring out, pull on it to make it longer and reinstall.

18. Anaminus

Anaminus

Wow! You guys helped me solve the problem! twisting the string about 3 turns, (A lot, but because I was kind of desperate to get this string working, I kept on twisting until it worked perfect) did the trick! The buzz is all gone :)