1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"A" string gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by babaseen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Why do some string manufacturers seem to have settled on the standard gauge string set with .080 for the A string instead of following the pattern of 45 65 85 105? After experimenting with various sets it seems my preference is for the thicker A (just feels and sounds right) IMHO. Just wondering how the 80 for the A string got into many sets as a standard as 45 65 80 105, seems to make sense for the 40 60 80 100.:confused:

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    I think Rotosound started it with their classic Swing Bass set.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    80 and 105 are closer in tension to each other while 85 and 105 the A string is higher in tension.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    .045, .060, .080, .105 should be reasonably equal in tension. The usual .045, .065, .085, .105 set has highest tension in the .065 D, followed by the .085 A.

I prefer the balanced tension approach, but if traditional gauges feel good to you, it's your call.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Well also, the .045 G string is about as high as a .085 A string in many cases, but a .040 G string is much lower in tension than a .080 A string, meaning you're kinda stuck with one of the two options unless you can find something like .044 or .043

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Thought so too.. Good to know! :p

And how is with the kind of string gauge I use for the 2 lowest strings? I have a .110 for the E string and a .140 for the B string.

Is this close in tension and such?

8. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Looking at Circle K's tension chart they give 48.1lbs for a .112 E and 42.7lbs for a .142 B. That suggests you've got more tension on your E. A closer match would be a .105 E or .150 B.

9. Thomas Kievit

Meh... I'm fine with the .140 B. .150 is too much.. Perhaps I might try a .145 in the future, but .140 is good for now ;)

10. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Keep in mind it's not all about the gauge. How they're wound and the size of their windings affects tension as well as scale length. But generally Bigger=higher tension, and the lower you get, the bigger the difference between sizes needs to be to attain equal or near equal tension for a note a fourth lower. My C# is a .232 and my F# is a .172. It's a monstrous leap, but it keeps the tension relatively even.

Also, I strongly advise everybody to at least try a balanced set of Circle K's. It feels magical :swoons:

11. Thomas Kievit

WHAT? .232?? How thick is your bass neck?

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    That .232 has as much tension on it as a .095 does tuned to E . . . no fat neck required.