A surprisingly good match Orange/Avatar content

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 22, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

I have a Orange Terror Bass 500/SP212 set up that I just sat on top of a Avatar B210. I was trying to sell both the Orange and the Avatar so I stuck them together to take a picture.... well after that I plugged them all in and WHOA! Man this is one mean rig. I had not tried the Orange head with a 4 ohm load..... she is large and in charge. I am definitely digging this set up. Might take a little tweaking but I think this is gonna be my big gig rig. LOL
    [​IMG]
  2. armybass

I know folks say we should not mix driver sizes but I thought it sounded great!!!!
  3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Almost any 2 cabs will sound fuller then just one.

Sounding "good" is not to be judged standing near the amp, but in all areas of the room you are playing to see if there are areas of boominess and cancellation.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Yep. Away from the cabs are where those issues are most noticeable. Avatars tend to play nice IME so it might not be a bad bet. I would stand that 2x10 on end though, get all the drivers more or less aligned in a plane. The Orange is a 1 x 12 from the look of it ? Model # seems to imply a 2x12 ... If it is a 2x12 then maybe your current alignment is as good as it will get.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Play directly into a portable digital decoder (find a friend that has one if you don't…. record about 10 minutes of playing (like you would live). After you set up in a room, play the recording through the amp and walk around the room and see how it sounds… it works better than a wireless because you can concentrate of the sound and not having to play…….. Use the same Bass on the recording that you'll use live...
  7. armybass

Yeah it a 212. This really isn't a gigging amp but when I do gig the. 210 I stand it vertical.
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

IMO, no one should ever render a judgment on the performance of a rig @ 8 ohms that is intended to be run @ 4 ohms (to say nothing of the effect of adding the second cab). In many cases, an amp head will not reveal its true character - in all its raging glory - until it's being run hard at its minimum impedance. :meh:

Sure, from time to time you can get lucky. I don't think any of the people who advocate adding same cabinet to same cabinet would claim that mixing cabs and/or drivers is a guaranteed disaster - only that the results are unpredictable, and are likely - but not certain - to lead to phase problems and poor off-axis performance.

So if you feel lucky, by all means roll the dice. Just bear in mind that the odds are against you...as they are in virtually every other kind of gambling. :eyebrow:

MM