A thought unloosened

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MalcolmAmos, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

A while back we were discussing position playing vs open strings. Several mentioned they play everything at the 5th fret.

It just dawned on me - what they were saying - or at least I think they were saying. Use the 5th fret position the same way you would use open strings. For example:

Code:
    Major Scale Box @ the 5th fret. 

G|-------|-------|-------|-------| 1st string
    D|---F#--|-------|---G#--|---A---|
    A|---C#--|---D---|-------|---E---|
    E|-------|---A---|-------|---B---|4th string
    Song is in D I go to the 5th fret position and adjust the G# back to a natural G, i.e use the 5th fret as home base and adjust for sharps and or flats. D's not a big problem, however F is as well as E, etc.

Is that what using "5th fret for everything" - in position playing entails? If so I do not see the advantage.

What brought all this to a head, I've started playing Praise music which will use more of the minor chords than I'm used to playing - I have been using Nashville numbers with the fake chord sheet music and having to transpose the fake chord from chord names to Nashville numbers is becoming a chore. Seems like I need to move away from Nashville numbers and use the fake chord that has chord name - and brush up on where the minors are.

You guys that use the 5th fret position for everything --- comments welcomed. Little confused, help!

2. Ant_C

Ant_C

I believe when one discusses position playing at the 5th fret rather than using open strings, it would be done with a 5 string (or greater) with a low B as the lowest string. That way you have the range of a typical 4 string bass, and the low B-C-C#-D-D# if necessary.

3. Russell L

Russell L

I think what is meant is when you have a note that is an open string note many folks would rather play it stopped rather than open (which means at the 5th fret). An open string has a different sound than a stopped note.

4. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

OK got it. Thanks; problem over, I worked through what I needed. Using position playing and fake chord, Nashville numbers and the box pattern seems to work best for me. Not necessarily the way for everybody......