1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A thought unloosened

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MalcolmAmos, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

A while back we were discussing position playing vs open strings. Several mentioned they play everything at the 5th fret.

It just dawned on me - what they were saying - or at least I think they were saying. Use the 5th fret position the same way you would use open strings. For example:

Code:
    Major Scale Box @ the 5th fret. 

G|-------|-------|-------|-------| 1st string
    D|---F#--|-------|---G#--|---A---|
    A|---C#--|---D---|-------|---E---|
    E|-------|---A---|-------|---B---|4th string
    Song is in D I go to the 5th fret position and adjust the G# back to a natural G, i.e use the 5th fret as home base and adjust for sharps and or flats. D's not a big problem, however F is as well as E, etc.

Is that what using "5th fret for everything" - in position playing entails? If so I do not see the advantage.

What brought all this to a head, I've started playing Praise music which will use more of the minor chords than I'm used to playing - I have been using Nashville numbers with the fake chord sheet music and having to transpose the fake chord from chord names to Nashville numbers is becoming a chore. Seems like I need to move away from Nashville numbers and use the fake chord that has chord name - and brush up on where the minors are.

You guys that use the 5th fret position for everything --- comments welcomed. Little confused, help!
  2. Ant_C

Ant_C

I believe when one discusses position playing at the 5th fret rather than using open strings, it would be done with a 5 string (or greater) with a low B as the lowest string. That way you have the range of a typical 4 string bass, and the low B-C-C#-D-D# if necessary.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

I think what is meant is when you have a note that is an open string note many folks would rather play it stopped rather than open (which means at the 5th fret). An open string has a different sound than a stopped note.
  4. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

OK got it. Thanks; problem over, I worked through what I needed. Using position playing and fake chord, Nashville numbers and the box pattern seems to work best for me. Not necessarily the way for everybody......