A twist on the Squier CV vs. Fender thing. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThudThudThud, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

I have been green-lighted by 'er indoors to buy myself a 'real Fender.' :bassist:

I just finished doing some recording with my Squier CV 60s Precision (FR/Tort/RW), and the sound was wonderful. Even the guitar player (who was manning the board) noted that it was the best bass sound he'd ever heard recorded. I also love the way that bass feels and plays.

My question: Which Fender MIA feels/sounds the closest to the Squier CV 60s Precision?

FWIW: I want a 3TS.
  2. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Maybe the 2012 American Standard with the CS 60's pickup and HMV bridge which is similar to the CV HMV bridge? (This is purely a guess on my part).
  3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Really? That's kind of what was on my radar (and in budget), but I wanted to be sure on the sound.
  4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Forgive the obvious question, but why buy anything different when what you have sounds wonderful? If anything, buy 3-4 more CV Precisions!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Good call. I'm definitely not unhappy with my CV. I proudly gig that thing. It's a wonderful bass.

After 35+ years of playing and never having owned an MIA Fender I'm rewarding myself for all my hard work (and climbing out of a huge hole) in the last year.
  7. George Mann

George Mann

If a real Fender means an MIA, then my suggestion is to spend that money on a better made Fender clone.
  8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Which one would sound/feel the closest to my CV?
  9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

This thread is awesome. Haha

I love the CV's. I think you should look for a Fender with a similiar neck finish. Japanese fenders have something similiar generally (just look for that thick tinted gloss).

Go to the nearest music store that has a decent selection and try a bunch! If you are set on getting a US made Fender, I do understand. There is something to be said for them. That said; Japanese are my favorite in many ways, as are CV's. I love the lightweight basswood bodies of the CVs.
  10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... (nee tekdiver500ft) Supporting Member

Media:
    I've had a slew of Fenders, MIA, MIM, MIJ, and MIK. The best-sounding Fender I've ever owned was my 60s CV Squier. I kick myself on a regular basis for selling it. It wasn't as well built as my current MIA, but it sounded better. The closest I've heard is the AVRI '62. The only problem is that it has a '62 style 1.75" neck, which may be a problem for you to transition to. That will probably be my next bass, unless I get a '63...
  11. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The stock pickups are quite good. I replaced mine with Dimarzio because I had been wanting to try one out for some time. I would say it made a bit of difference but nothing extraordinary. Mostly the change was for aesthetics (creme covers, adjustable poles) and personal edification.
  12. That Sustain

That Sustain Banned

Same here. I've owned at least 6 U.S. Precisions. The blue CV was somehow better.
  13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

:bassist:
    Dammit.! LOL.

They are great sounding basses.

I'll keep a look out for the 57 AVRI. I did try a friends' one, but he'd swapped the p'up for an SD. It was playing that one in a band setting that made me buy the CV as the Precision sound was exactly what my band needed (I was playing a Jazz).

And no, I am not interested in starting another thread with people coming here to tell me that their Squiers are better than anything except possibly a Wal... I'm looking for a tone comparison first, and then a similar feel.
  14. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... (nee tekdiver500ft) Supporting Member

Media:
    Which is why I tried to stick with tonal comparisons.
  15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

It's hard to go wrong with the current MIA Precisions. I'm like Fig in that I prefer MIJ Fenders, I'm a big fan of the necks and your dollar goes a bit further. I think the advise regarding playing as many as you can to find the one you like the most is important, in particular if you're picky about wood grain and you're shopping for a 3TSB.
  16. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

As far as "feel" goes, the American Special would be the closest thing, except that it doesn't have the gloss poly on the neck. The neck thickness and feel is almost identical.
  17. George Mann

George Mann

That I couldn't tell you. Why don't you find a few companies you like and ask them.
  18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

It's tough to find something that's the same feel wise because the CV has vintage (small) frets and a modern nut width. The AVRIs will give you vintage frets and vintage (wider) nut width. The AmSTD has big frets and a modern nut width...

And I know it's not what you want to hear, but I've owned the CV and the American Standard side-by-side, and I sold the Fender and kept the Squier. Sorry!
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

But American Standard, 3TS, tort, rosewood is a jewel of a bass
    The neck will feel different for it's different but also way better
    If an American Standard it's in your budget, go for it and you won't be disappointed
    It's no basswood but alder instead, but a "selected" one, so that you get more quality at the very same weight, and the Himass Vintage bridge is a stringthrubody system: more and more accuracy in intonation and overall setup.
    Fender ultralites machineheads are way more precise as well

No... it won't be the same, it will be better, believe me
    And its passive unmistakeable tone it's the one each and every studio engineer always look after

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I agree the CV has a vintage feel and it does not feel like allot of MIA Fender's of today. That is what I like as well as the build,tone and price.

If you need it to say Fender on the headstock not Squier you might not find it. You could do like a tech told me allot of guys are doing and remove the Squier label and add a Fender.
  21. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

+1
    This is good advice. The only thing I'd add would be to stick to a Fender made after 2008 and try before you buy. My experiences with pre 2008 Fenders is hit and miss on the quality and tone, some time after that the MIA team seemed to get its quality control act together. And by all means hang onto your Squier, many of those are great playing basses. To this day when I gig with my jazz basses my main player is my Squier and I bring my Fender as a backup (really torques the Fender snobs off).
    Good luck on the hunt.