A video I think a lot musicians would benefit from.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

A level headed response to a pretty silly argument that seems to crop up damn near everywhere.
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Oh, maybe you should post it in misc. then :bag:
  3. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Ewwww, I gotta go to a forum that isn't OT? That's just way too weird.
  4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I know how you feel!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

Well that was pretty cool. Not sure I learned anything, though. I like electronic music.
  7. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

I watched I felt like I agreed with most of it. Except those who electronic music has no soul and that's just a word they use because they can't think of anything that makes sense blah.

Well I do feel electronic music lacks soul..
    It also has a certain cheesy-mess about it but hey so did metal ballads, and well, people liked that too.
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

First of all, dogs have owners, cats have staff members. Some cats will fetch, others won't and some will fetch until they know the person who's throwing the object is enjoying the experience, so it then stops, specifically to deprive the person of the pleasure.

If you were able to hear what's usually going on in a cat's head, it's usually "Human- amuse me!".
  9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Good video. As for electronic music not having soul, John Cage said it best that no sound, note or music has any intrinsic 'meaning'. It's only through time and repeated examination that we are able to attach 'meaning', 'soul' or emotion to a kind of music. Many of Beethoven's comtempories felt his music was crass and crude. A lot of early R+R was heard as 'just noise', now it's classic rock.
    Electronic music is young, in the history of music. Some of the work done is not well thought out and will be ignored as time goes on. Some electronic music will be classic some day.
  10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

Dug the video a lot.
  11. champbassist

champbassist

Loved it. You really are comparing apples and oranges here: for example, saying that the 'talent' involved in or 'effort' required in composition of music using languages such as Max/MSP is any way less than playing an 'acoustic' instrument is absolutely ignorant.

Indeed!

I'd say everything after Ecco La Primavera is just noise. Ah, those were the days! :p
  12. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I couldn't stop staring at his skunk hair.
  13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I think he's spot-on right about all of it. There are stereotypes that get made about many different genres of music by people who are ignorant about it. Sure, there are examples that reinforce the stereotype, but there is far more that doesn't fit the mold if you're willing to look a little deeper. I find some electronic music to be mind-numbing and hard to listen to. I also find some electronic music to be thoroughly fascinating. There are textures and sounds that aren't available with acoustic-based instruments. Fabricating those sounds and combining them into emotionally-moving music IS the talent.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

I don't find these people talentless, but I would NEVER call somebody who slouches over a computer to have it make sounds a "musician." An arranger or an engineer, possibly.

But a musician? Uh, no.

Takes talent to make any type of music sound good (to the people who like that style) but I find electronic music to be utterly soulless. The sound somebody makes when falling down the stairs has as much soul to it as any electronic music track.

It takes talent to juggle but I wouldn't call a juggler an artist.

To recapitulate ;

- These people aren't musicians.
    - What they do takes talent, although I'm not attracted to honing those skills myself.
    - The "music" that's produced is soulless.
  15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

What defines a "musician"?

If electronic music elicts a deep emotional response from me, does that make me "soulless", too?
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

Ugh. Quit being so defensive. Jeez...
  17. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

Kraftwerk is awesome ...

bwaaahahah... define musician ... loaded question.

and it depends on what dictionary you use...

Online Webster:Musician : a composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially: instrumentalist

other dictionarys leave out the "instrumentalist" part
  18. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved.

Not cool posting this in OT, Kwesi. Bad boy. :rollno:
  19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Plain and simple, a musician is a person who makes music.

I dont believe inanimate objects have souls. A guitar track has no more soul than a melody composed on a computer.

An artist, no, but an entertainer, sure. I wouldnt call five guys playing cover tunes artists either, but I would call them entertainers.
  20. Duckwater

Duckwater

I love a lot of electronic music. I think the hate comes from how easy it is to start making it and a lot of people with no musical talent, knowledge, or experience jump right on the electronic bandwagon. It's very different from music played by instruments, and it's hard to bring out emotion and dynamics(I know from experience trying to make electronic music).
  21. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Yeah, it takes a lot less time to create music badly with a computer than it does with a guitar. :p