1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A violin bass sound w/out a violin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smoothdave, Dec 14, 2012.

1. smoothdave

smoothdave

Last night my keyboard player brought his Hofner violin bass to practice, and I had the opportunity to play it for the evening.

Here's the problem. I hate everything about this bass, except for one, little, itsy, bitsy detail.

I hate the way it looks.
    I hate the way it feels.
    I hate the short neck.
    I hate the way it plays.
    :bag:

But.....

I love the way it sounds. These things really, really sound awesome to me. :hyper:

So, does anyone have any suggestions for getting on of my current P or Jazz style basses to sound like a violin bass? New pickups maybe? Different strings? Or is there something else I can buy that doesn't look, feel, or play like a violin bass?

Or does it just have to be a violin bass?

Thank you for any suggestions.
  2. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

I think you're going to find these are a unique beast, the sound made up largely of the things you hate.

Maybe a Club bass or an Allen Woody ? Pretty close.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

It took some getting used to but I have grown attached to mine and since putting on the LaBella's that has made it all worth it.. You cant really man handle it and play it like an animal but it certainly has its place..
  5. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

I had an Epiphone Viola for about a year. The sound was fine. The neck dive was not. Neither was the fact that the back of the bass is round. Unless the player is a body builder with 6 pack abs, you know what else is round. So there is neck dive and the tendancy of the bass to roll forwards so it faces the floor.
  6. bill reed

bill reed

I have 5 basses that all sound diffrent.
    the only one that gives me that Viola sound is my
    LE. MARQUIS fitted with roto tru-bass 88s.
    i would think the only bass other than a Viola would be the
    Line 6 Variax Bass 700. it has a Hofner 1968 500/1 with flats in its set up.
    Maybe Mjac28 could help you more as i think he has a Variax,
  7. smoothdave

smoothdave

Thank you very much for all of your replies. Why is it that the answer is always "more basses?" :)

I've never played any of the suggested basses, so I'll have to check those out. I appreciate it.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Try an Epiphone EB3 or an Epiphone Les Paul or an Epiphone T-bird they will get a similar tone to the Hofner ... or Try a Rick and favor the neck pickup.
  9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

W-FabBass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny, the three songs they chose to demo this with were originally done by McCartney using a Rickenbacker. :D
  10. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The Epi Allen Woody is very Hofner-ish but with a fatter neck. My friends Hofner Icon and my Allen Woody both strung with Labella flats sounded pretty much the same.
  11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Get a Hofner Club Bass - same sound, cool looking single cutaway design. At least solves the appearance issue.
  12. jellejanssen

jellejanssen

You could try to mute the notes a little bit
  13. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

How about an Eastwood Classic 4? It doesn't look or feel (and therefore play) like a Violin Bass. However, it's 30" scale - but 3 outta 4 ain't bad.

Ed Freidland plays one here:
  14. t77mackie

t77mackie

I agree with the OP about everything s/he said about the Beatle Bass. When I tried one out at the store it felt like the most alien thing I ever picked up. It feels like a toy!

Mimicking tone - maybe mess around with your tone knob and EQ. Tone knob all the way off and lots of low EQ. But, yeah, you'll never match the tone without one.

===-===--====-

Why is my dictionary saying, "Beatle" is spelled wrong? Am I missing something???

:eyebrow:
  15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Höfner 182 might fit the bill.

Short scale though, obviously.

Or staple PU's on a J or P. With flats, of course.

Regards
    Sam
  16. Brent Hahn

Brent Hahn

I really like the Epi Jack Casady. Can sound pretty Hofnerish, but bigger, longer, and all around more substantial. Around $700 new.
  17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    +1 especially since the OP says he doesn't like short scales.
  18. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I second that. Some foam at the bridge.
  19. mjac28

try" Beatles" they were known as The Beatles and for some reason the dictionary doesn't like the word Beatle
  20. mjac28

This is pretty cool never heard of it.