1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A word on GFS bodies

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Drew617, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Drew617

Drew617

Hi all,

I ordered a GFS body for a parts build, thought it might be helpful to share my impression. I did a bit of research here before pulling the trigger on this one, a precision body in Ivory. Add mine to the "mixed" experiences here.

I found a bunch of flaws right away, but decided not to return it and use it for my build - I set today aside to complete it and the GFS body wasn't egregiously bad. It does have some real problems, though. Given the cost of Warmoth bodies, etc., I don't feel ripped off for about $50 - you get what you pay for.

The body had some finish flaws, dark spots, and ugly radiusing in several places. Also the neck holes were pre-drilled but not to Fender dimensions; had to be filled and re-drilled.

Ultimately I made it work but wish I'd spent a bit more on something else. Next time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have had mixed results with cheap bodies, but usually I regret it.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

That is why I only buy unfinished bodies from GFS. I still ended up with some weird spots because the wood is like a sponge and I wasn't prepared for that... But overall good experience with my build. Having to widen the neck pocket a bit was the only major problem.