1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Abe Laboriel bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steveb98, Jun 21, 2006.

1. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

I just downloaded the Abe Laboriel & Friends, Live in Switzerland from iTunes and Abe's bass sound is incredible. Does anyone know what he is playing. I know in the past he played Yamaha a lot, does he still? I tryed looking around not too much info on Laboriel.

2. vicenzajay

vicenzajay

and musician...tough to find a lot of information on him. I was fortunate enough to meet him at the Christian Music Convention in Seattle last year.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    I've seen photos and broadcasts where he's playing what looks like the current Yamaha Nathan East model or the Yamaha BB2005, which is the more affordable version of the NE bass. I'm not sure of what he played on the record, but the Yamaha is what I've been seen out and about with for the last couple of years.

4. itzs

itzs

it only says he uses yamaha basses on the cd cover, but it sure looks like the nathan east model, with the block inlays... :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soniq

soniq

I've seen him play an 8-string.

7. malicous

malicous

I've seen videos of him playing a Billy Sheehan type Yamaha (on older videos) and a TRB (on newer videos).

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I met him at that same convention -- what a great guy!

I attended his session and if I'm not mistaken, he was playing a TRB.

9. bassist 4 life

bassist 4 life

Hey, I saw Abe about 2 or 3 months ago, he was playing a Yamaha TRB.

Amazing tone, and awesome player, I've been trying to nail his technique for a week now, its pretty cool, I've never seen anything like it.

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

11. Wadge

Wadge

Abe Laboriel is a great player indeed and it seems that it runs in the family. I've watched Sting in concert two weeks ago and his son Abe Laboriel Jr was at the drums. Fantastic player, and I couldn't take my eyes off him all evening. He's played with Paul McCartney on his latest world tour also.

12. Energy

Energy

I saw Abe giving a show here in Germany in the late 90's (don't recall the exact year). He was playing a Status Graphite 6-String, an Empathy model by the looks of it, or a Series-2.
    [​IMG]

13. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Naturally, he's had a ton of basses over the years. I've seen him play a lot more than just his Yamahas. He has been seen playing Status, Tylers and a Leduc MM5 among others. He's probally using a Yamaha on the latest release you just bought. I'll have to check that out!

Tyler
    [​IMG]

Tyler
    [​IMG]

I forget the name of this one...
    [​IMG]

Rob Allen
    [​IMG]

Whatever this is...
    [​IMG]

Fender
    [​IMG]

14. Energy

Energy

It's a model "Worp", made by the German manufacturer Bassline

15. lousybassist

lousybassist

Abraham Laboriel is also known for playing Ares basses, and does so on the first track of Guidum. I can't seem to find any pictures of him with an Ares online, though. From the interviews I've read, it seems like he plays a lot of different basses, but always seem to return to Yamahas.

But let's forget about his basses for a while, and concentrate on some speakers he seems to use nowadays:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know I've never seen anything like them, and all I know is that they're made by Glacier Audio. What's the scoop on those?

16. jkricka

jkricka

Did you mean Aries basses?

17. Labi

Labi

Whatever this is...
    [​IMG]

That's the Goya.

18. lousybassist

lousybassist

Nope, I truly meant Ares. They're made by Robert Sahrling in Motala, Sweden, though I'm not sure if he's still building instruments. I had a six string once, and it was a wonderful playing and sounding bass. It looked a bit like this:
    [​IMG]
    The ones made for Abraham Laboriel, at least one five- and one six string, had really tight string spacing, at his request. I remember seing one of Abes six strings, with a neck as wide as the regular Ares five string basses, in it's early stages of completion.

19. Fulcanelli

Fulcanelli

20. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

From the Glacier Audio website:

We have substantially reduced our prices. And here’s why:

1. We have become more efficient at making our speakers and we are passing the savings on to you.
    2. We are now exclusively factory direct — we sell directly to the customer from our factory, bypassing all middlemen, who traditionally add 40% to 50% to the cost of a product. Our home listening rooms receive only a modest commission. Orders placed through them are shipped directly to you from the factory. Of course, they do get to have the best sound money can buy, provided by us for free.

* Model 2: was $19,950/pair
    now $12,950/pair
    Plus shipping and applicable sales tax
    * Model 3: was $14,950/pair
    now $9,950/pair
    Plus shipping and applicable sales tax

For some reason, I find the above amusing.

21. Carver

Carver

I just picked Don Grusin's "The Hang" on DVD....Abe was playing Tyler and Yamaha. Great DVD by the way.