1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

?? about 5 String Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottBlasko, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ScottBlasko

ScottBlasko

Hey all, I'm rather new to the bass ( i'm a guitarist and drummer) and would like to know if it is somewhat normal to keep the low string an E instead of a B and add a higher string instead? So no low B but a higher string like an a 6 string. Any info would be super. Thanks!
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Yes,
    A lot of people do it. Or just use a 6 string.
  3. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Most people tune that higher string to a C, to keep the series of 4ths from string to string. I have seen people (Tim Bogert) tune it to a B because they play chords and like the guitar shapes they can get. YMMV.
  4. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

The E to C thing is pretty popular, more so for those that do the chordal stuff. Personally I prefer the B to G but my advice is do what you feel comfortable with. No right or wrong way, just different approaches.
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

Buy a 6 string set (B, E, A, D, G, C)

Tear B string apart and install just E, A, D, G, C string on your 5 string bass

Install a Hipshot bass extender on your lower string (E string, prone to reach D note in this very case)

Tune the bass a full step lower, releasing trussrod and saddle tension accordingly.

Now you'll have D, G, C, F, Bb (C, G, C, F, Bb with detuner on)
    Just a half step higher than a 6er, on the lowend, and a full step lower than a 6er on the highend

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

You can buy low B E A D G or E A D G C.
    I use low B for gigging.
    Use Hi-C for tapping & chording around the house.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

The higher string is fine, but at the risk of creating controversy, it offers very little in terms of practical application with an ensemble.

It is nice for "feature" playing such as chording (as mentioned), melodic leads, etc. But, that's about it.

I've never strung a fiver like that, but I have flirted with a few six strings. I never used that string, so I never took interest in them.

I have seen a lot of guys who sound awesome on them though.
  8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Higher string is fine, but I would recommend going the 6-string route if you want to extend higher. I think greater range of the low B is always a good thing.
  9. ScottBlasko

ScottBlasko

Amazing info guys! Thank you all so much. Really helps. So far I'm liking the idea of the high string tuned up to B since I'm used to that on a guitar. But Im gonna have to try all ideas. Cheers!
  10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I agree... the low B is more "on task" so to speak for bass .. and what it's function is..
  11. rolandm

rolandm Supporting Member

I think a lot of the decision of what tuning to use depends on what you're playing as well. If you're covering a lot of modern, detuned artists, you'll likely find it better with a BEADG tuning as you start to get into some artists who use a low B-C# or even low A on occasion. Misery Business by Paramore, for instance, is much easier on a 5-string than on a detuned 4.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

As others have said, it's pretty normal to do that.

One problem is string selection though. I really don't know of any E-C string sets, like others have said you have to buy a 6 string and not use the B which is the most expensive string.

Best thing to do in that case is to get your strings from Bass Strings Online. You can custom build whatever set you want, and you don't have to pay for the B string you won't be using.
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Build-your-own-string-set_c_163.html