1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

About a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Dec 14, 2012.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

I should clarify that I am specifically referring to a fretless Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. I forgot to add that on the title.

On an older thread I posted months ago about fretless basses, I was asking about a fretless Fender Jazz bass.

A few people in that thread strongly recommended getting a fretless Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass instead.

I would assume of course that this would be a more inexpensive option compared to the Fender Jazz.

I'm wondering if, like other big brands, Squier has MIM, MIA, MIJ, etc or if they are all made in the same country. If not, is there a significant difference between them?

And do some people actually think that it sounds better than a Fender Jazz?

Anyone with any insight, please do provide, as I'm very curious. Thanks.
  2. JACink

JACink

Please check out the search function, as there are thousands of posts discussing this!

But just a quick answer to your questions:

Yes

I belive there are Indonesian and Chinese Squiers. I have never played a "Made in China" so I cant comment. But the Vintage Modified are built in Indonesia.

Yes, some people do.
  3. mogpipe

mogpipe

Hey, just curious, is there a 'Squier Vintage Modern 70's Jazz Bass Club' ?
    I've looked and can't seem to find one. If there isn.t, there should be! I love mine! Merry Christmas to me!!
  4. Teacher

Teacher

I learned to play on a Korean Squier II P-bass and thought the quality was very good for the price. Some have said the newer ones are just as good and maybe better.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Try changing your search to "Vintage Modified" or "VM". You might get better results.
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Make sure you check the bass out in person before buying. The first thing to check for is that the fretlines are level with the fingerboard. I had one, and I know at least one other TBer that had another, where the fretlines were slightly raised above the fingerbaord which caused some buzzing. You can feel the humps by running the pad of your finger over the fretlines.

I bought a radiused sanding block from Stewmac and cured it, but it would be better to buy a good one from the get-go
  7. jperala

jperala

My VM fretles is sanded (fingerboard) and better bridge, is plays and sound like a dream :bassist:
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Good point, with a little work, and a pickup upgrade.
    These are a good bass for the money.
    That said, this is still a $200.00 bass. don't think it is going to
    turn into a $600.00 or $800.00 bass.
    I had a VM Jazz 5-string.
    New pickups, bridge, and had the frets leveled.
    I put about another $250.00 in it, and it rocked hard.
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

The closest to that would be the Squier Vintage Modifed (Owner's?) club
  10. mogpipe

mogpipe

Then someone,........should start one............hmmmmm:bag:

I looked into that club, but it's so much, if not moreso, about modding, opposed to owning that model and appriciating it's inate qualities.
    If that makes any sense.
  11. C.Linton

That's pretty much what any club here on TB is like. (Seems like it at times anyway).
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I disagree.

I have a stock VM fretless and I gig it a lot. It is a great sounding fretless as is. The composite board is one reason why IMO. I have played and owned much more expensive fretless basses that aren't as good sounding and playing.

A better bridge is a good upgrade but the standard bridge is the same design that most Fenders have had since the 1950's. Stock pickups are fine and the tuners are the weakest parts on the bass IMO but function just fine.

I own 6 much more expensive basses than the Squier and ave a Fodera on the way.... I still gig the Squier from time to time and leave the high end stuff at home.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I disagree.

I have a stock VM fretless and I gig it a lot. It is a great sounding fretless as is. The composite board is one reason why IMO. I have played and owned much more expensive fretless basses that aren't as good sounding and playing.

A better bridge is a good upgrade but the standard bridge is the same design that most Fenders have had since the 1950's. Stock pickups are fine and the tuners are the weakest parts on the bass IMO but function just fine.

I own 6 much more expensive basses than the Squier and have a Fodera on the way.... I still gig the Squier from time to time and leave the high end stuff at home.
  14. C.Linton

I'm with you Baird. I have two VMs (J and P) and I haven't made any mods other than minor aesthetic ones, because all of the functional bits are fine as is. Sometimes I really don't get this "It's a Squier, it must need modding" attitude.
  15. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I, too, have a VM fretless and it plays and sounds great! I've got a bunch of different Squiers and I like them all. The only thing I've done is spend some time setting them up. I've bought all of them used and have not paid much for them. As a matter of fact, the VM fretless was the most expensive for me at $200! All of the others were considerably less, ranging from $40 to $125. I haven't found one yet that I want to sell.
  16. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

I acquired a 2005 black MIM Fender Jazz fretless off of Craigslist for $300, in like-new condition too. These days it pays to just browse Craigslist and evilBay periodically.

It really didn't need any changes, but I went ahead and changed the pickups to DiMarzios and it sounds fantastic now.
  17. crobasster

crobasster

I put fender custom 69 jazz bass pickup set on my VM and didn't notice any difference from stock pickups.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

+1... I think I am that TBer.

I would avoid the VM fretless and get something playable out of the box. I have yet to see one that didn't need to get the neck re-worked, not to say they aren't out there, but I have seen quite a few examples. Just search around TB, many people have had to.

The VM fretless was a decent bass for the money after I put in a bunch of man hours radiusing the neck and shielding the pickups.

Though the pickups in it are alright for a $300 bass, if I had any intentions of keeping it, that would be the first thing I changed. I found the pickups left a lot to be desired in the tone department.

I recently sold mine to another TBer, I was glad to see it go. I have given up on finding a good cheap (new) bass, I personally do not think they exist.