About Bestler, Cavaliers, Steiner Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kingjliow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

i'm on my way to pick up my first bass. since there's so many bad comments about Cremona basses, does anybody heard about these three? Bestler, Cavaliers, Steiner
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

It seems that you've already made your decision. Which bass are you buying and from where are you buying it? From what I've been able to glean about these companies via the internet, they're musical mass merchants from which it wouldn't seem wise to buy a double bass. I found Bestler flutes, guitars, violins, and cellos. The stringed instruments appear to be pure junk. Check here.
  3. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

(i'm sorry i've cross posting the "bestler" topic, i kinda in a between situation, so you guys might conclude but still, i apologize) drurb my budget is really low (around 1000$) and i'm in college now. i think Bestlers are not going to be the Best choice so my option's narrowed to the other two (the Steiner is around 600$ but the Cavaliers is around 900$), and its from major local music store anyway. but is there any more advice?
  4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

You could find a used Shen. That may be your best option right now. They're good solid starters, I know one went at a local music store for $700.
  5. drurb

My advice is to read carefully the information at the link that I posted. There is no shortcut. A decent new bass, properly set up, costs somewhere between $1500 and $1800. The suggestion to find a used Shen is a very good one. Buy a bass from a bass shop, not necessarily from a "major music store." The importance of the setup is paramount! Most of the time major music stores deliver basses with setups that range from poor to unplayable. Again, read the information at the link and you'll find that information and much more.

By the way, where are you finding Cavalier basses? Consider this definition of "cavalier:"

1. showing a lack of proper concern; offhand. :)
  6. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

its cavalier with the "s", cavaliers. its a chinese made, i got it for around 900$ (yeah, this is the bass i choose in the end) its got a pretty nice sound for jazz plucking but i had a hard time pressing the first fret on each finger (the F, Bb, Eb, G#) like many other cheap basses (well at least not from my perspectice) its still have to do some setup, like the height of the nut.
  7. drurb

Yes, I realize that it's Cavaliers. I would like to know where you bought it and maybe you could include a picture or two. Of course, there are no frets on a double bass.

This is one of those threads that just makes me shake my head. You asked for advice and information and went ahead anyway with a pre-conceived plan. You've now dumped $900 on a relabeled Chinese import of unknown quality. As expected, it needs setup work done. Assuming the bass is even of a quality that will hold a decent setup, it'll likely cost you at least $100-200 to have a real luthier do it right. So, you'll be right up against what a nice used Shen would run and a few hundred short of what a new Shen would cost from a real bass shop that would supply it with a nice setup. You could always re-sell a Shen, not so a Cavaliers.

...but hey, if you're happy... your money, your decision... :)

Were you playing DB before you bought the Cavaliers?
  8. Champagne

Champagne

And if a luthier will even work on it.
  9. drurb

Yes, indeed. I thought about that as well but was holding back a bit. Now it's all out there. :)

[​IMG]
  10. drurb

Are you in Indonesia?
  11. HBlair

HBlair

Solid. The guys on the DB side of this forum are invaluable. Heed what they say.
  12. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

yeah, i'm in Indonesia -.- and its hard to find Shen's here (maybe i'm just lack of link and contacts), i had a contact person who sells Scott Cao's but my budget won't do any help (its around 1800$). The reason why i buy the Cavaliers anyway its because of personal reason so... there's that -.- (its not that i didn't appreciate your advice... sorry but thank you really). anyway my bass still got hope, i know a luthier who can setup my bass without making me at a temporary poverty (lol) beside, from the second finger of the half position to the upper octaves region is amazingly playable (feels like more than 900 to me) and i still can play with "strategic" fingering. so, here's the picture of my new friend:

full shot:
    [​IMG]

nut:
    [​IMG]

...and yeah i've played a DB before, i use my school's (but that one are far more awful, unplayable (literally))
  13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

The nut has no slots!
  14. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

the nut needs to be widen, i can do it by myself but i'm not sure about the measurement so i'm going to take it to a friend of mine (a luthier)
  15. drurb

It sure would have helped to let folks know up front that you were buying in Indonesia. :)

I can see why you'd have trouble playing in 1/2 and 1st position. It looks essentially unplayable. I can't imagine that the other positions are very satisfying either.

The nut seems to need a complete reshaping in addition to having proper slots cut. The nut looks like it overhangs the fingerboard by a rather excessive amount. What strings are on it? There seems to be something wrapped around a portion of the D-string near the end of the fingerboard.

I'm not sure what you mean that you bought the Cavaliers because of "personal reason" but if that was what was operating then it's not clear what information you wanted/needed from this community.

In any case, I truly hope that your luthier can provide you with a setup that's affordable and that will allow you to have many happy hours of enjoyment.
  16. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

OP did you try going here to find a distributor? http://www.cscproducts.com/

From following this it seems like you're in a hole because you didn't want to listen. Don't ask for advice if you weren't going to follow ANY of it.

It also appears you didn't do any research on the instrument, or inspect it before you purchased it. This is a big problem especially in the digital age where we trust everything on the internet.

If I were a doctor I would prescribe you to return that piece of junk and work a few more weeks until you can buy something playable.

I am disappointed in your decision, and if you choose not to follow the advice given, I hope you enjoy the bass for the 2 weeks you are going to try to play on it.

Edit: Also the fact that you made this decision in 4 days (Feb 26 - Mar 1) is more than little discerning. You either wanted our advice but didn't know how to hold on to your money, or made up your mind and just posted on here to make yourself feel better.

It's disturbing either way
  17. drurb

This was the red flag for me:
  18. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Do they have Sam Ash in Indonesia?

Sorry typo meant "Scam Cash"
  19. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

okay, i'm sorry. this thread would be another "don't buy this brand" theme, but i really appreciate all of the advices.
  20. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Nick, I think you should lighten up. "We" have no personal stake in this outcome. :meh: