About how many watts is this speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Aug 2, 2012.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Ok so my grandparents were getting rid of theses 2 tower 3 way 120 watt 8 ohm home theater speakers and i took out the woofers. I cant find any info on the internet so i though id go here, all i know is that the woofers are 10in and 8 ohm so about how many watts would it be safe to assume these speakers are judging by the known information. If it helps at all the speakers were both Sharp CP-6700 speakers. Also i plan on putting these in cab for either bass or guitar does anyone know any websites where i can order a speaker less 210 bass or guitar cabinet.
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Eve better idea, order a cab with REAL bass speakers in it. Old home stereo speakers won't last long with guitar or bass. Especially low-budget home speakers like those Sharps. The "120 watt rating" was in all likelihood extemely optimistic. Low real power handling, limited excursion, this is a dsaster if you try to play a musical instrument through them.

Look on Craigslist, you can find used bass cabs all day long for less than the cost of ordering a new unloaded cab.
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    There's no way to tell from that little bit of info, bit, being hifi speakers, your bass might send them flying across the room.

Recorded music is very even. A live instrument signal has many transient spikes and hills and valleys in it. 2 different types of signals that generally use 2 different types of speakers.

Might get away with it at quiet home practice levels, plenty of us have, but don't think you're going to make a bass rig out of it.

The transient power handling/soft suspension/excursion thing is only one of many reasons not to. Fix them up and listen to records through them.

Yes.....records.
  4. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Ok well i never had any plans of making this a rig for anything more than practice, i am no longer considering buying anything for them, but id still like a guess on the wattage because i know that when building stereo speakers that there is a certain wattage distribution that is done. Also the speakers were too big to fit in my house and i already have a nice stereo set up at home with a record player so they aren't getting put back together and the tweeters were really bad too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I can remember when 20w per channel was a big deal.