1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

About Modified Fender '77 JB

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Dear Talkbassers,

I had a Fender '77 Jazz Bass with everything stock on it. Then one day, I have decided to modify it and I put badass bridge, J-Retro Preamp and EMG active pickups. I thought it will sound like a tiger and I gave it to a very good luthier to put them on. After I got the bass back, I thought that it will roar like a tiger but it sounds muddy and the passive mode with the EMGs sound better than the J-Retro preamp activated ( by the way it is not actually a passive mode because the EMGs are already active pickups.)

Let's make the long story shorter. I will go back to the originals which I kept them on my shelf. I will bring the original parts to the luthier and will tell him to bring my old bass back with the stuff which he replaced them with the new ones for me as I said it to him.

The only thing which is on my mind is that, the original control panel of the bass which includes the tone and volume knobs were making noise when I play with them down and up. Should I replace the pots with the new ones? I saw the pots inside the control panel and they are all rusty - well I am talking about a '77 jazz bass so it is normal I know. But if I change the control panel's pots with the new ones - do I lose the original sound of the bass which I had when I first purchased it? Or the best thing is just bring the bass to the original state?

Any comments and opinions about it are very very welcomed.!!!

Thank you so much everyone.

:confused:
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Just get new CTS pots. They won't change the sound if they are the same k ohms usually 250k on a jazz. The numbers are on the back of the pots.

Oh and just because the pot cans are rusty is not necessarily reason to change them if they still work good.
  3. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

I would've left it stock and added maybe an EMG buffered balance like the ABC control, and yes to replacing the pots.