1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

? about switching between reverb tanks

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GlennW, Jun 29, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW

I'm thinking about putting two reverb tanks in a guitar amp with a switch in the combo cab to allow choosing one tank or the other. They're both long tanks, a 4-spring and a 6-spring, and there's enough room for both in the bottom of the cab.

It's my understanding that the signal path is:
    amp > reverb input > reverb > reverb output > amp

I plan on running both of the outputs to something like a Y-cord, which will leave both outputs connected at all times.

And putting the switch between the factory reverb input cable and two RCA cables, one going to each of the tanks. I guess both grounds can be permanently connected, and just switch between the hot leads of the cables going from the switch to the tanks.

Will that work?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Do you realize that the requirements of the tanks differ between amplifier models?? Some require a high impedance drive others low impedance. It all depends on the design of the driver circuit.

3. GlennW

GlennW

I do, and they both work. 9EB... and 4EB...

My concern is in the plan I have to hook them up.

4. BassmanPaul

A better plan would be to use a DPDT switch to change between the in and outs simultaneously. That way, at any one time, the amp only sees one tank and there is less chance of mechanical noise getting into the amp.

A simple metal bos with the switch and a six way RCA block mounted should do the job. Ground the metal box.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

My guessing had me thinking leaving both outputs would be best since there wouldn't be any signal coming from the "OFF" tank, and switch the inputs.

I'm glad I asked, and more glad you answered. I'll do as you suggested.

EDIT: Just switch the hot leads? Leave all the grounds connected?

7. BassmanPaul

Yes.

8. GlennW

GlennW