1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

About to buy a Peavy vb-3

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by zachreh, Dec 26, 2012.

1. zachreh

zachreh

So after a year of saving, a lot of research and some help with christmas money I finally decided on purchasing a peavey vb-3, I was looking at an svt but apparently ampeg is having some big factory problems at the moment, making the vr's and cl's hard to come by, at least for me in south florida.
    The vb-3 does seem like an outstanding and versatile amp, I wish I could find more audio demos on youtube but oh well. This will be my first tube amp and should be a huge upgrade from my ampeg pf 350. Currently I use the 350 with my mesa powerhouse 2x12 cab which I love. I also use a sansamp bddi which has helped my tone and live sound so much. I plan on driving the vb 3 with the sansamp as well.
    I play hardcore/metalcore in drop C so I am very excited to finally have an all tube amp to play through, any experience with this amp? thanks :bassist:
  2. Edword

Edword

No experience with the amp, but congrats that your hard work and saving are about to pay off!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No experience with that Peavey amp, but Peavey makes nice stuff for sure. And yeah, other than the Heritage, new SVT's have been a little hard to come by recently. According to Musicians' Friend and Zzounds, new ones should be coming in by the middle of January.
  4. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Congrats! I've got the VB-2, which is a step down, and I love it. To be fair, some folks have complained about flimsy sliders, but I think you'll be happy with it.
  5. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The Peavey is a great amp, BUT,
    It is not a SVT
    It does not sound like a SVT or any other all tube amp.

If you want a great amp that isn't a SVT and has all the modern features of a amp designed in this millennium get a Fender Super Bassman
  6. zachreh

zachreh

good points so far thank you guys so much. Some vb-3 owners are saying it sounds very fast like a solid state amp but will it still give me an all tube tone? I only played an svt before so that's all I have to compare it to.
  7. hdracer

I have heard hybrid amps that sound more like a full tube then the VB-3 and I am a Peavey guy.

I had a VB-2 for a long time. The EL34's just never gave me the tone I was looking for. The VB-3 has them too.
    Great for guitar amps, not so good for bass.
    You really want something with 6L6's or 6550's
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No disrespect meant to anyone else who makes tube amps, but only an SVT sounds like an SVT. That's cool because different amp makers should have amps that sound different, but if it's the SVT sound you're looking for, you won't get it elsewhere that I've found.
  9. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

I much preferred the VB-2 to the VB-3. Simple, straightforward tubey goodness. Different flavor than other all tube amps on the market, but i dug it. Great price for a US made tube amp, 5 yr warranty and great CS. Weight in the mid 50lbs IIRC.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There's a big writeup here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-vb3-737398/ seems Peavey are sloppy in not controlling gain in the EQ section but you can work around it with outboard gain control. Or someone doesn't know how to control their own graphic EQ?!
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

LOL, for all I know it sounds more SVT than an SVT :D

OP, you'll have to play on it to know for sure if it does what you want. What's wrong with a used SVT? Even if you factor in an overhaul you're quids in compared to a new Peavey.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Would be real nice if it did since it weighs half as much. But with an SMPS instead of an iron power transformer, I have to doubt the VB-3's SVT-copping abilities. Again, no disrespect intended to an amp I've never played.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Why would it have power tubes and a SM output stage? No comprendez. Probably has a toroidal output transformer and the SMPS is for the input power?
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Do they even make torroidial OT's? I thought it had a laminated OT and an SMPS for input power. I know it has the SMPS for sure. That's why it's so light.
  15. zachreh

zachreh

Well if some hybrids sound more "all tube" then the vb 3 then that's not too good. I saved a good amount of money for a solid all tube amp and I want to make sure I get the tone I'm looking for. I'm not exactly looking for an svt tone but just something that will give me so much more then my pf 350. Don't get me wrong i absolutely love the low end and grind of an svt but I'm not using an 8x10 yet just my Mesa 2x12 which is fine for now. My sans amp will obviously color the tone a lot too. The vb 3 also has the 5 year warranty so I feel confident about its reliability. I just want a bigger all tube sound with useful features and I think the vb 3 can do just that
  16. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Do you have an opportunity to try before buying? Don't be scared away; I still think you'll like it.
  17. hdracer

Your PF 350 will sound more like a SVT then the VB-3.

Try a Fender!!
  18. zachreh

zachreh

Really?? Seriously? I don't think so
  19. hdracer

I had a Peavey!!

Just because it has tubes in it doesn't mean it will sound like you want.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Peavey and Traynor have been using torroidal OT for years. I'm pretty sure they ain't using El34 as preamp tubes!