1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

About to install bridge and neck pickup covers, but previous owner ****ed it up.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benlauziere, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Hello guys,

I'm a bit disapointed by my buy... I bought a American Standard Precision Bass 1996 about 1 year and a half. Very happy with it but... the previous owner installed a bridge jazz pickup but so close to the bridge it's almost on it !!! It didn't bother me until I wanted to install a bridge cover... let me show you the problem

$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwywYHBQgUgpv75g~~48_20.JPG

the screws are sticked to the bridge... :( The problem is that it will not fit cauz the pickup is 84 mm wide...
    So I was wondering if a jazz bass bridge cover would be cool with a p bass neck cover ? Any advices ?

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'd take that J pickup out of there, then add your P-bass cover. If the hole bothers you, cover it with a piece of foam (like a faux mute).

That pickup can't be anything but high end noise being that close to the bridge. To me it would be useless. Get rid of it.

3. Sponsored by:

4. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Nov 30, 2005
    Denver
    Use a jazz bass bridge cover. Problem solved

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Don't put a J cover on a P. I'm pretty sure it's written somewhere in the TB bylaws.

6. That's what I thought first. But I was wondering, if I just let the hole there, won't the humidity enter in it and scrap the wood ?

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    A good handful of people have done it. I've done it also and it looks quite good - especially with a genuine Fender J-cover just for the "F" on it. Did it on an old refinished 50s Classic and I got nothing but compliments on how pretty she looked. :D Granted... it limits where you can play almost too much.

[​IMG]

8. :p

Right under the decal addendum.