About to pull the trigger on a Genz Benz 3.0 10T combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by othefool, Feb 16, 2013.

1. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

I had something of a religious experience today.

I took my URB to the local music store. They carry some Genz Benz. I wanted to check out their 6.2 12T combo, which I demo'd before with a cheap ebg, and liked. I also tried the 3.0 10t with the ebg, and thought "meh".

Today, the 6.2 12T was sold, but they had a NEX2-112 and a Streamliner 600 (which I own). I tried them together with my URB (Eberle ply w/Fishman FS) and wasn't impressed. (I typically use a Fishman Pro EQ preamp into the back end of my Streamliner, so the coloration might have been an issue.)

Then I plugged directly into the 3.0 10T, and it was amazing.

So clear, such a refined sound for URB. Then I add the extension cabinet (STL-10T) and the sound becomes so much deeper. The output even seemed to rival the 600w amp.

So, I think I have no choice but to pull the trigger on the 3.0 10T with the extension cab. I have read how much people love them. I have also read about changes with Genz Benz company (being bought by Fender?) and have noticed that this amp is no longer available on MF and other sites...makes me feel a sense of urgency...

just thought I would throw it out there for some feedback. The amp is amazing, and I will probably be buying it soon no matter what...

(I did promise my fiance that I wouldn't buy any more basses, but that is probably another post...besides, this is an amp!)

2. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

you only live once ...its only money

3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The 3.0-10T is even better for my Clevinger EUB (with a bridge foot pickup) than my double bass. Very even through the whole range.

On my carved 4/4 double bass (which has a lot of bass acousticly), the E string sound a bit weak amplified with a neutral eq setting (with Full Circle, Shadow NFX and Shadow bridg wing pickups), but bass boost or/and bass eq can get it back at low up to medium volume levels.
    At medium to a bit higher volume levels I would reduce the bass frequencies anyway, so I simply switch the bass boost off and set the bass eq more or less neutral.

Might be too weak for a low B, but I never tried that. Also plays nice with my active electric bass guitar, I can even use the line in for this instrument, if I ever need to double (missing the eq and input gain for this input of course).
    Even half the power without any extension is enough for the loud big band I'm playing in, so no need for an extension.

I might get a 12" box for those cases where I need more bottom or simply to put it in the locker room where we gig with the big band, so I only need to carry the amp there. That way, I always have a very mobile combo amp at home.

4. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

I tried it with the extension 10 as well as the 12, both sounded great! Tho I have been hanging around TB too long to consider mixing driver sizes =)

I had assumed 300w wouldn't be enough for my needs, but it does seem to get silly loud, vs. The stm600 which gets stupid loud...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

You should get that combo sooner rather than later because GB has discontinued making the 3.0 10T. I had to do some hefty searching to get mine about a month ago.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Great amp, and the 10 should work well with your bass. Do it!

8. Champagne

Champagne

They were closed out on hellomusic.com for 300something bucks. Keep an eye out.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

Are they really not making the 8 and 10 combos anymore? That really is to bad cause they are such great little combos.

10. Champagne

Champagne

I have no info on that. I did ask a local music store that I've been friends with the owner for years. He was going to ask them at NAMM what was the deal with the new combos and if they were going to release a 10" combo again and he never got back to me. Since then I bought a different rig. I suppose if you emailed Genz, they would fill you in. Looking online, there are only a few retailers that still have the 3.0 series combos. From what I was told, everything was being upgraded to the 3.2 series. On genz's site it only shows Shuttle 6.2-12T and Shuttle 6.2-210T, so maybe not, or you may need to go a la carte and get a cab and amp separate.

11. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

I found out about GB axing the 3.0 line through direct emails to GB. They don't even make the AmpSac bag/cover anymore. It's a bummer, because this could be the single best 1x10 combo I've ever owned and I don't think they gave it enough time or marketing to catch on.

12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Yes, the 3.0 combos are discontinued and they're all sold out at Genz Benz. The only way to get a new one is to get some NOS (New Old Stock) - a retailer that currently has them. No one can order them anymore. Use that knowledge to push for a good price!

The 6.2 1x12 and 2x10 combos are still active products.

13. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

Well, with that knowledge I am holding onto the 8" combo and ext. speaker. I also have the bag which works great. Thanks for the confirmation Mark.

14. snowtraveler65

snowtraveler65 Gold Supporting Member

Just heard an hour ago from a VERY reliable source that Fender just shut down Genz-Benz and SWR...

15. Spanky123

Spanky123

Last week, I purchased an STL 3.0 8T. I am having a problem with a midrange buzz in the speaker. I emailed GB and got an email back to call Fender. I have no idea what to expect from customer support from Fender on what -- it appears -- is now a legacy product. I will call them on Tuesday.

The situation is complicated by the fact that I am in Australia. Their warranty does not apply outside the U.S and Canada. A search of older posts on this forum shows repeated raves about customer service, with Genzler following up himself on customer satisfaction, etc. I will follow up on what my conversation with Fender Customer service turns up. I am hoping they can help me get this thing fixed.

Does anyone know what an eight inch neodymium replacement speaker will cost if I need to swap it out on my own dime? Can a non-professional install it?

16. powerbass

powerbass

Spanky, first try to find a local repair person if the speaker is indeed damaged beyond repair check out the Faital 8" driver Mike Arnapol uses in the Crazy 8 cabs he builds. they are not cheap however

17. Spanky123

Spanky123

Thanks, PB, I will see how the convo with Fender goes and hopefully I will not have to. The Faital 8PR 200 looks like it would work. Do I need to know anything to install it myself? I have general screwdriving abilities.

18. Spanky123

Spanky123

Update:

I am in Australia so calling Fender CSR is a royal pain. Have to use a computer to call international. Yesterday, made the call. President's day, please call back tomorrow. Called today. We're sorry, but due to the high volume of calls we cannot, etc. It looks like a lot of time and effort are going to have to be expended getting someone on the phone. Will keep the board updated.

Edit: Tried Fender again. Now I cannot get through to the phone menu. Line is disconnected after ringing for awhile. 4 PM Arizona time on Tuesday (Wednesday, 10 A.M. in Sydney). I am not sure how late Fender CSR is open. I assume normal office hours, so it may be unlikely that I will get through. I am also unsure what kind of hold times to expect. I really don't have 45 minutes to spare this week waiting for Fender CSR to pick up. Anyone else have this experience?

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Note that I am working directly with Spanky to help him get this resolved. Spanky, check your PM's, I sent you specific information relating to your speaker.

20. Spanky123

Spanky123

Thanks for the help, agedhorse. I will follow up on my alternatives regarding ordering a speaker. I found only one source for the replacement speaker:

http://cooldiscountinstruments.com/...-Neo-for-Bass-amp-Amplifier/product_info.html

I have emailed them to inquire about shipping costs to OZ. Meanwhile, I am considering other alternatives. Earlier in this thread someone suggested another brand, Faital, which is also expensive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a less expensive speaker that may be easier to acquire in Australia? I realize I would be sacrificing some quality, but as I am planning on purchasing a larger speaker in the future, most likely a 12 inch Genz Benz, it may be an acceptable solution to use this as my practice speaker, and therefore a less expensive replacement may be a good alternative.

Edit: heard back from the speaker supplier above: $89.00 shipping, bringing the cost of a replacement speaker to $230. Of course, as soon as I order it, I will see an 8 inch Genz benz on Ebay....

21. powerbass

powerbass

One warning on the Faital, the speaker frame is magnesium I believe and will crack if you do not use a gasket and go easy when tightening it down to the cab. I learned the hard way by cracking the frame. Good to hear Agedhorse is helping you out. Last year I called GB w/an issue I was having w/my Shuttle 3.0, spoke w/Jeff Genzler directly, very helpful, great customer service. I know things have changed