1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

About to pull the trigger on my first five string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by logans59, Dec 4, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

So I've been wanting to try a five string for a while and decided this Christmas it is time. I play at my church and think those extra 5 notes would be nice for some worship songs.I've tried the Squier VM Jazz 5, ESP-LTD B-205SM, ESP-LTD D-5, and the Ibanez SR305. Of these my favorite by far was the B-205SM. Are there any other basses I should really try before I purchase this one? Trying to keep it around $400, open to used as long as I can at least play the same model in a store somewhere first.
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

3. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

I personally love the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string. Through-body neck and all. You could probably get a nice Schecter 5-er for around the same price as your budget.
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Buy used. You could buy a $600 bass for $400. You could get a higher-end Schecter, ESP, Ibanez or whatever. I just saw my own SR505 on ebay for $304--WITH a hard case.
  5. logans59

logans59

I'm not really looking for another P-bass as my 4 string is a P/J. I will definitely be trying out the Stiletto, however.
  6. logans59

logans59

I will probably end up buying used, as long as I can find what I want.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Don't count out the Diamond P. That thing is wicked at modern tones & IMO smokes the Stiletto.
  8. logans59

logans59

If there's one at any of the stores around me, I will try it
  9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Where are you Logan?
  10. logans59

logans59

Kennesaw, GA
  11. logans59

logans59

Kennesaw, GA

About 30 min North of Atlanta
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I would contact Schecter to find a local dealer.
  13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

14. heb9_28

heb9_28

+1 on the Stiletto. I played one in church for years and loved it. Its one of the few basses I seriously regret selling.

Also the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. Very much in your price range. Great bass. As I'm typing this I'm thinking I might want to pick one of these up again very soon, I miss mine.... hmmmm.
  15. logans59

logans59

Thanks for that link, it says GC and Ken Stanton both carry Schecter. The Ken Stanton I went to did not have them, but I think I remember there being one at GC, tho I don't know if it was a 5 string
  16. logans59

logans59

I didn't like the Squier Deluxe, I also played one side by side with the VM 5
  17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

You might have a hard time finding one at GC. I had to buy mine used, but it was well worth every penny. I was going to just order one new, but one came up local on Ebay. I was able to test drive it. Look around for used if you're not in a hurry. I see 4 stringers come up more often, but if it's local you could at least hear it and get a feel for a 4 stringer.
  18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

If you look real hard you can find a used MusicMan SUB5 active bass for around $500. Well worth the money and clearly a different sounding bass than a precision.
    Another good choice would be a G&L 2500tribute used for around $500.
    Both basses have top notch build quality, sound and consistancy so you could try one out in a store to see if you like it then if you do, look for a used one.
    Good luck.
  19. logans59

logans59

I'm seeing the MusicMan SUB 5 new for $280. Did you possibly mean the Sterling? Or am I just looking at the wrong thing?
  20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Actually, I forgot Musicman came out with the newer SUB series. I haven't tried one of those yet so I don't know if they are any good. The one I originally referenced was the SUB5 made by Musicman in the USA. It's discontinued now but you can still find them used.
    They come in both Sterling and Stingray styles. Here's a Sterling style on eBay...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Musicma...e-/251181207266?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7b910ee2