About to pull the trigger on my first five string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by logans59, Dec 4, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

So I've been wanting to try a five string for a while and decided this Christmas it is time. I play at my church and think those extra 5 notes would be nice for some worship songs.I've tried the Squier VM Jazz 5, ESP-LTD B-205SM, ESP-LTD D-5, and the Ibanez SR305. Of these my favorite by far was the B-205SM. Are there any other basses I should really try before I purchase this one? Trying to keep it around $400, open to used as long as I can at least play the same model in a store somewhere first.

2. jlepre

jlepre

3. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

I personally love the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string. Through-body neck and all. You could probably get a nice Schecter 5-er for around the same price as your budget.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Buy used. You could buy a $600 bass for $400. You could get a higher-end Schecter, ESP, Ibanez or whatever. I just saw my own SR505 on ebay for $304--WITH a hard case.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. logans59

logans59

I'm not really looking for another P-bass as my 4 string is a P/J. I will definitely be trying out the Stiletto, however.

7. logans59

logans59

I will probably end up buying used, as long as I can find what I want.

8. awilkie84

awilkie84

Don't count out the Diamond P. That thing is wicked at modern tones & IMO smokes the Stiletto.

9. logans59

logans59

If there's one at any of the stores around me, I will try it

10. jlepre

jlepre

Where are you Logan?

11. logans59

logans59

12. logans59

logans59

Kennesaw, GA

About 30 min North of Atlanta

13. jlepre

jlepre

I would contact Schecter to find a local dealer.

14. jlepre

jlepre

15. heb9_28

heb9_28

+1 on the Stiletto. I played one in church for years and loved it. Its one of the few basses I seriously regret selling.

Also the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. Very much in your price range. Great bass. As I'm typing this I'm thinking I might want to pick one of these up again very soon, I miss mine.... hmmmm.

16. logans59

logans59

Thanks for that link, it says GC and Ken Stanton both carry Schecter. The Ken Stanton I went to did not have them, but I think I remember there being one at GC, tho I don't know if it was a 5 string

17. logans59

logans59

I didn't like the Squier Deluxe, I also played one side by side with the VM 5

18. jlepre

jlepre

You might have a hard time finding one at GC. I had to buy mine used, but it was well worth every penny. I was going to just order one new, but one came up local on Ebay. I was able to test drive it. Look around for used if you're not in a hurry. I see 4 stringers come up more often, but if it's local you could at least hear it and get a feel for a 4 stringer.

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

If you look real hard you can find a used MusicMan SUB5 active bass for around $500. Well worth the money and clearly a different sounding bass than a precision.
    Another good choice would be a G&L 2500tribute used for around $500.
    Both basses have top notch build quality, sound and consistancy so you could try one out in a store to see if you like it then if you do, look for a used one.
    Good luck.

20. logans59

logans59

I'm seeing the MusicMan SUB 5 new for $280. Did you possibly mean the Sterling? Or am I just looking at the wrong thing?

21. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Actually, I forgot Musicman came out with the newer SUB series. I haven't tried one of those yet so I don't know if they are any good. The one I originally referenced was the SUB5 made by Musicman in the USA. It's discontinued now but you can still find them used.
    They come in both Sterling and Stingray styles. Here's a Sterling style on eBay...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Musicma...e-/251181207266?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7b910ee2