Absolute newbie needs instrument advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourfingers, Jan 25, 2014.

1. fourfingers

fourfingers

Though I am not a beginner at musical instruments, I want to move into country bass. I need some advice on type of bass guitar, bass amp and learning material.

I am an oldie, I definitely do not have a problem with learning something new at 73.

I can't think of any place to start but amongst the experts.

Thank-you.
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Do you have any particular concerns about cost, mobility (i.e., weight of the bass and amp), and power (i.e., minimum/maximum wattage or volume)? The stock answer to this is probably "P-Bass through an Ampeg," but what you have in mind might dictate something different.
  3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I agree generally with the above, but I can't help thinking that any of THESE would also look perfectly at home on the Grand Ole Opry stage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FENDER CORONADO BASS

4. fourfingers

fourfingers

I am pretty much a home or garage jam session player now. I suppose one could say that I just want to play bass while at home and listening to some good old country music.

Cost, I don't want to start out with a wash tub and a broom stick bass so I'll say in the range of $400.00 for the guitar and $300.00 for the amp. (I don't think I need any thing larger than a Session 500 or so ) No gizmos for add on sounds. Basically, just picking along with the music I listen to.

Weight won't be a factor after hauling around an 80 lb steel guitar for thirty years.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TinIndian

TinIndian

If your just looking for jamming around the house at this point I'd look at a used Fender Mexican P bass. Can be had for around 300 bucks. A Squier P bass could be had cheaper than that. As far as an amp a small combo would be the way to go. Perhaps one of those Fender Rumbles or an Ampeg. Either way you should be able to get in one pretty easily at your price point. Good luck to you and welcome!
  7. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

I'll let others give their opinions about basses and amps, but as for learning material, you can just google, "Country Bass Lessons," and see what you get.

Then, there are lessons at Youtube:

73, huh?

God bless you, and may you reach 100. :)

Mike