1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Accidental Relic Technique

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ROBM700, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ROBM700

ROBM700

I have my 2-month old Warmoth P-Bass on my work bench to do some wiring modifications when my son came out to the garage and asked me to hand him a couple of screws which I had in bins on my upper shelves above the work bench(see where this is going?). Yes, the bin of screws slips out of my hand and on to my new everything!

Oh my! Some definite damage, but oh well....I guess that is part of the deal. But why did I feel so bad?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

accidents happen. does the damage at least look cool? pics or it didn't happen and we'll all take turns calling you a liar!

3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Entropy often makes us sad. We want to believe that things can go on the way they are forever, but of course, they can not. Cherry blossoms falling in the spring time remind us that life itself is transient.

4. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

In highschool (the '80's when the bass wasn't worth what is is today) durring a particularly energetic band rehearsal I used the head of my 76 jazz bass to add a symbol crash to a song. The bass still has the scar. Oh well.

Whenever I see the dent I remember how it got there, and it makes me grin.:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

Have you been reading Housman?

The OP's pain is one reason I try to avoid buying brand spanking new stuff. However, that pain is nothing when compared to the pain of picking up the wrong end of a hot soldering iron (those honking BIG foot-long irons from fifty years ago) twice within five minutes.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Entropy ain't what it used to be.

8. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

No; I grew up Japanese. It's much the same effect. :bassist:

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I'm like you... my nature is to keep my instruments pristine. But wear/damage is inevitable, and I've decided I don't want to live in fear of it, except if I've got a new instrument within its trial period, or I'm playing someone else's.

My #1 bass has become an "accidental relic". I think it looks great, and I have absolutely no more fear of dings and scrapes. :) I love my broken in bass, just as I love broken in Chucks or Levis. But unlike the Chucks or Levis, I "wear" my broken in bass at a wedding gig. :p

Way way back in grade school a teacher said the Japanese have a word for the beauty of entropy (to phrase it clumsily). That is, the imperfections coming from usage, wear-and-tear, etc. I thought he'd said the word was "shibui" but a quick google seems to refute this. Any ideas what it could be?

10. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Yeah, it's inevitable, especially in my case. I try to be careful, but I buy my basses to play them, not to worship them.