ACG Pre

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Weshunter413, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Weshunter413

Weshunter413

Anyone tried the ACG Filter preamp? Looks pretty cool. I think I've tried almost all the preamps out there (Aguilar, Bart, Pope, Demeter...and many more). I think it's time to think outside the box. I like the Bart the best so far for the low Mids but I have to keep it flat (I have a passive switch on the bass and it sound very close to the bart pre set flat). Any preamp change just takes away from another frequency. From what ive seen on forums about the ACG is you can really fine tune all the frequencies with the filters. What do you guys think?

2. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
    I've tried one but not in my Roscoe. I love the concept, and in the studio it was fun to get really different tones. They offer some serious tonal versatility... But live it was a nightmare to just make a tweak as needed by the mix/room.

The bass that had it In was sold one though if I still had the bass I'd of likely kept the pre for recording work.

3. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    If you go for the 01 dual filter version live use is fairly simple in that you can set up two sounds on the bass. Say the bottom end supplied via the neck pickup with the mids supplied by the bridge pickup then just a case of using the blend to change between the two. It is not ideal for tweaking for the room but it could be done but using the EQ in the amp would be better for that. I would be the first to admit there is a learning curve with the pre-amp it does not work the same way as a standard cut and boost. I t will produce sounds that would be difficult or impossible with a standard EQ but correspondingly there things that are easier with a 3 band. I know plenty of guys that use the pre-amps live with no difficulty.

4. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Hi Alan,

My best friend owns 2 basses both fitted with your pre. He swears by them and they work for him great. He's a band leader who uses very little outboard so his entire tone shaping comes from the pre's. They just didn't work for my approach to live work on top of the 120 plus knobs and dials I have to tweak as part of my set up.

I think if you are a fan of simplicity then the ACG pre's can very confusing and intimidating 'at first'. I do think though that if you can put the time into them they are very powerful tools. I agree completely on the point that given that investment of time they are capable of producing tones that no 3-band pre ever will!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi Shep.
    Trust you are well.
    I have seen your pedal board and I would not know where to start. If you are used to a passive bass then the step to filters is a big step. I used to play a Wal and from the very start it just made perfect sense to me the filters worked the way my head did and I have never had a problem with them. I find a 3 band more of a challenge but again I would be the first to say they are not for everyone.

7. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Very well thanks!

I find a traditional 3-band very useful for the way I work. The Bart pre in my Roscoe is ideal and I can use the mid and bass knobs like expression pedals in conjunction with my fuzz and dirt effects to swell in huge boosts of noise then back out again. The filter set up doesn't work so well for this somewhat untraditional set up. I also tried a Wal but just couldn't get on with it!

I think I'd like to give the filter pre another crack at some point, but need to find some real time to sit and play.

8. Weshunter413

Weshunter413

I just ordered the eq01 at bestbassgear. Max was very helpful to get me familiar with the new preamp. I'm also installing separate switches for single/quad coil per pickup. I hope it will be worth it. I haven't heard anything but great stuff from the sounds this preamp gives and if I can get one great tone from it I would be extremely happy and might not change settings at all live.

9. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Shep

If you are going to the London show I will have some basses fitted with the new 03 preamp.

Thanks very much for taking the plunge mr west.

Alan

10. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    The show next March? I think I can just about squeeze it in the diary! ;)

Westhunter - make sure you report back on how it goes with the pre and your Roscoe!

11. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
  12. JOME77

JOME77

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the ACG Wes. I'm surprised that you didn't really dig the Pope Flexcore. I loved it in the LG-3006 with the Bart CB's. Did you try the different jumper settings in an effort optimize it for your Roscoe? That was what sold me on it.
    If I can ever get over parting with the custom THG knobs on my SKB 3006 I'll purchase another and install it that bass (or order 2 more sets of the concentric custom knobs from THG).

For what it's worth, I also really like the East preamp installed in the Skjold basses. Especially with the rotary P/U selector switch in lieu of the P/U blend control.

13. Weshunter413

Weshunter413

Hey Joe, the Pope pre was good for what it does but I didn't feel like it was much different from my Bart pre except the lows were more mellow and the 10k highs were very thin IMO but I did love the two bands of mids. I don't care for boosting single frequencies though. I think I will have much more control with a filter preamp. I'll give my opinion (for what its worth) when I get it installed.

It's funny, I PMed Gard about the best pre for my ash body and he recommended the Aguilar OBP-3 so instead of the preamp I decided to buy the tone hammer 500 amp thinking I would just send it back in a week but I LOVE that amp so far and I've tried alot of amps. (latest GB SM9.2) the lows are very big and tight and the highs were very sweet and complemented my bass nicer then any onboard Pre/outboard/ or amp yet. (MHO)