1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ACG preamp and SGD pickups in a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hunterred43, Sep 1, 2012.

1. hunterred43

hunterred43

Recently I ordered a used Stingray HH from guitar center. I bought it used with the intentions of putting in the ACG preamp and maybe some SGD pickups. After getting it, I realized the bass is practically brand new. I think it was hanging on a wall or something it has never been played the neck was so new it was still a little gritty. Some oil and playing it is smoothing up nicely. Now I'm a little to mod a bass I got for 850 which is brand new with no flaws.

My question is this I am interested in the ACG preamp to get more of a wal sound. (I know. Its not a wal) Is there a way to put the EQ02 into it with the extra knob. Is there a replacement plate available for a stingray for five knobs.

Of the SGD pickups would they offer me more tonally than stock pickups. Good midrange punch and tight bottom end and some clarity in the highs. Thanks.

2. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I know there has been an EQ01 fitted to a Stingray but is the 4 knob version. It would depend on the room in the cavity but you might be better with the 01 rather than the 02. The 01 would put you more in Wal territory because it has a filter per pickup the same as the Wal. The added filter will do way more than the passive tone in the 02 with regard to versitility.

Alan

3. hunterred43

hunterred43

Thank you for replying. I know it probably gets annoying people chasing that tone. I'm just looking to thicken up that stingray tone. I love the feel of the bass. Need to see if the sgd sidewinders narrow or wide would do it. Do you think your preamp and wiring it in series with the factory pickups would do it?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    My ND3 Neo pickups would surely thicken up the tone. They don't sound anything like a stock MM pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    You are better talking to David regarding pickups not my strong suit. The pre-amp I am sure will give you more sonic options than the current one of that I am sure. I think it is better to change one aspect of the bass at a time either change the pickups or the pre-amp and see where that gets you if you are still not happy then change the other with more info to hand to make your next choice.

7. hunterred43

hunterred43

Thanks. I agree with you about changing one of the components first.

8. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Stingray 4H basses equipped with the piezo option have a 5-knob control plate. You could probably have a similar one fabricated.

[​IMG]

9. hunterred43

hunterred43

10. hunterred43

hunterred43

I saw a picture of one with the five knobs and I have been searching all over the Internet for one. The guy from acg said the 01 has filters for each pickup. Just thinking of how the five way selector fits into this.

11. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Not sure how that would work with an 01 it uses a blend. If you keep the switch the 02 would be a better bet.

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think the combination would be pretty bad ass. :bassist:

13. hunterred43

hunterred43

Do you have any wiring diagrams etc on those two preamps?

14. hunterred43

hunterred43

I think that the eq02 4K/pt is going to be the least disruptive to add to my bass

15. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    There are downloads in the news section of my website for both preamps.

16. hunterred43

hunterred43

I have been looking at the diagrams and looked at my bass. I think the best way to do it is to leave pickups running to five way switch then to the preamp. The four knob 4k looks like the best fit. Last question I think is what sonically is the difference between the 4k and 5k? and can the 5k come in a 4 knob version? Thanks for your patient responses just trying to pick the right thing for my bass.

17. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    So you will need the single pickup version which comes in a 3 or 4 knob version. The difference is the passive tone which works directly on the pickups prior to the active stages. You can't get a 5 knob version in the single pickup because there is no blend control.So to give you all the options the pre-amp you need is the EQ02 4K/S.

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

18. hunterred43

hunterred43

thanks anything wrong with going that way?

19. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Nothing comes to mind.

20. hunterred43

hunterred43

placed my order for the eq02 4k today.

21. hunterred43

hunterred43

I got the preamp and I am almost finished with it. Reached a point where is needed some help. I have the stingray 4hh. I have the plugin wired and i'm down to hooking up the pickups. Mine came with the five way switch. I assumed that there would be a hot, cold and ground coming from the switch that I would wire to the preamp.

There are two green wires(ground) that were soldered to the back of pots. These are grounds i'm assuming. There is a white (hot) and a black(cold) im assuming coming from each pickup heading into the switch. Only a white exits the switch, with no black wire. My plan was to solder the green wires from the pickups together and take them to the preamp cold input. Connect the white wire to the hot connection. There is a ground to the body. Is this correct. Also if at a later date I wanted to bypass the switch could I order the blend pot or stack to work directly with the pickups?