Acme B112 Full Range 8ohm review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassundergrace, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bassundergrace

bassundergrace

Acme B112 Full Range 8ohm review
    I have to say I am very impressed. This little cab is not only accurate, and balanced, it is almost loud enough for a rock gig by itself.

At first I was skeptical, never having played a 12” cab or combo that didn’t sound round and undefined compared to tens, but I was really needing a light weight cab (37.5lb).
    I tested it with two of my basses tonight, A Musicman Stingray 5 H/S and a G&L L-2500 USA.
    The head I used was an Ampeg B4R USA (2 X 205Watts continuous @ 8ohms, 1 X 1000 watts continuous @ 4 ohms)

Even being underpowered at 205 watts (500 recommended), this cab had no problem with the low B and was strong for just about any tone I could dial.
    The second cab will be in soon, and I am looking forward to cranking the pair with my amp bridged @ 1000 watts at 4ohms! I had a power hungry eden 410xlt cab years ago and have heard first hand the difference the right amount of power makes.

Bottom line, I would put this cab against any other 12 inch cab sold at guitar center or theperfectbass.com store that is in my town. I don’t understand all the charts and graphs on his site, but Andy definitely knows what he is doing. Congrats on a great cab!

[​IMG]
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned a Full Range and I agree it's one great cab. Very clear, incredible lows, and a nice high end. A second 112 will be cool indeed. My favorite combination is a B-112 combined with one of Andy's new Series III Low B-1s.
  3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Gold Supporting Member

oh yeah! nice
  4. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Wow, Andy finally changed his website ! Nice.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jwasbury

jwasbury

I recently took delivery of 2 of Andy's 112 cabs. I chose to have one of each (fullrange and flatwound) to run as a stack. This is replacing 2 Bergantino AE210s which were ruined by Hurricane Sandy flooding.

I had the chance to demo the set up with my band during a rehearsal last weekend and so far I am happy with what I am hearing. Definitely plenty of bottom in these babies. We rehearse with a PA and the drums are miked (at least the kick) to simulate our typical live conditions. In this rehearsal, my bass rig was not in the PA but the 2x112 stack carried things perfectly. I am driving each 8 ohm cabinet off of a channel from my Crown K2 power amp (IIRC delivers 475 watts per channel at 8 ohms). No issue with power there. I am looking forward to a gig.

Also curious about Andy's new B-110 floor wedge. I may add one of these to my stage rig to surround myself in a cocoon of bass. To me, that is the ultimate solution. I have had a bunch of gigs where the sound guys won't pump much (if any) bass through the monitors, saying that their equipment "isn't designed for bass" which I can't understand, but I play along because we need to work with these guys (and hopefully get asked to come back for another gig).
  7. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul

A 112 FullRange and a 112 FlatWound, driven by a Gallien-Krueger MB800, has become my standard amplification rig. For my tone goals, I haven't heard anything better at any price. And at this price and weight, I haven't found anything that is a better value or more convenient.

I, too, am considering a 110 Wedge as a monitor; but I'm still cogitating on different ways to do that. How about TWO wedges; one for bass only (mine isn't miked) and one taking a feed from the PA?
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

First of all, I'm sorry for your losses due to Sandy. Though I'm not too far from you as the crow flies, I and my neighbors here in northern Manhattan were spared any direct impact at all, as we live on literally the highest ground in NYC. Though we were fortunate, many others all around us were not so lucky. There but for the grace of God... :meh:

But secondly, you must have had quite the wake-up when you first heard the Acmes...especially having transitioned directly from the AE210s - which are not known for having especially deep or powerful low end - directly to the Acmes, which are reputed to have the baddest low end booty in da bidness. :cool:

Enjoy!

MM
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Acme gear is the best. I need to get my hands on one of these new cabinets.
  10. jwasbury

jwasbury

Appreciate your kind words re: SuperStormSandy.

I am going to reserve final judgment on the ACMEs until I have a few gigs under my belt with these cabs. I like what I read on paper, and what I heard during a short rehearsal seems to confirm expectations formed by my reading. However, a Proper analysis will require additional data.

I liked the AE210s, but I didn't love them. The light weight and small form factor were a big reason why I liked them. There were gigs where I felt like they sounded brittle, but other times I think they sounded good (50/50 maybe). We always have PA support, so I believe my satisfaction has been dependent upon the sound reinforcement and stage situation. We mostly play outdoor/festival gigs, and in situations where the sound reinforcement was sub-par, and especially when combined with a stage of solid concrete, I definitely felt like something was missing. It is times like those that has me thinking that a dedicated bass monitor would be the hot-ticket. I don't know that these ACMEs will end my desire for a dedicated bass monitor, and if they don't I will be picking up a 3rd ACME cab to add to the "system."
  11. bassundergrace

bassundergrace

I got my second b112 in. Bridged my 1000 watt Ampeg B4R, put new strings on my stingray 5 h/s and cranked it up. Being a former ampeg guy that plays with a 5, I really have never heard the full range of tones across my bass reproduced in a bass cab. It is so even and full. More than enough volume for a rock gig. Stack them for even more clarity, or put them side by side for more low end. I can think of times and rooms the stack option would have helped alot. I wish I had owned these a long time ago, my tone would have been better, and my back stronger now. By the way did I mention, these cabs do not "fart out" easily. After the break in period, I pushed the low end a little harder than I normally every would, No problem. I play a 5 and like alot of lows for rock gigs. IMO don't waste your money on some more expensive and less responsive mass produced cab at the GC, try these first. Now if andy just made a class d head...
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

So many better options out there that do not come from big box stores.
  13. hgiles

hgiles

Neo 112-II are roughly $350 new and 30#...otherwise how do they compare?
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you are talking about the GK neo 112's, totally ,completely different (not a better or worse thing).

The GK neo's are less low end extended (but then, literally any cab on the market is less low end extended than the Acme's). That will make them MUCH louder per watt, and more 'punchy'. They will slot themslelves into a mix more 'above the bass drum', whereas the Acme's will put a huge low end pillow under the band.

I gigged an Acme FullRange for a while. VERY nice box... super deep low end, almost unbelievably power hungry (as an example, my 4ohm Fullrange took my Markbass F500 into full power amp limiting at moderate volumes. As a comparison, I've never even hit the limiter on that amp at stupid high volumes with a more traditionally voiced 212 or 410). So, very unique box. Super low end extension. I again found, as I did with my B210's, that the balancing act between getting enough power into the Acme to really open it up, and not hitting the mechanical limits of the drivers takes some skills, and I would not, in any way, recommend these cabs for those who slap or really dig in. Those power spikes with that style of playing combined with the huge xmax but (from what I've been told and also hear) limited xlim of those drivers, and the big absolute power needed to again, drive that super deep low end out into the audience, requires some finesse and more EQ, limiting, hi passing skill than most players possess. IMO and IME.

I found (as I did with my original Acme B210') that the the bass extension into the sub-bass regions (i.e., 30hz or so) resulted in more 'cost' than 'benefit' for me.

Those GK neo's are impressive as heck for the price, and for a bassist who doesn't want to fuss with hi pass filtering, massive power, etc., they are a very good option, along with the Bergantino HD112, the Baer ML112, and the Aguilar DB112.

All good stuff, and I actually was quite impressed with the Acme neo 112, just didn't really work for my more punchy, tight, articulate tone goals. Pure IMO there.
  15. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Subscribing to this thread as I have a keen interest in the Acme 112 full range. However, KJung's comments about the speakers NOT being appropriate for slappers a little concerning.

Would anyone else say the same thing - that it's not suitable for slap?

KJung, you must run your rig at deafening volumes!:bassist:
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not at all. I'm lucky enough to play with pretty top notch players who keep stage volume very moderate. I do many gigs successfully with a Bergantino AE210 and 350 watts.

Again, no free lunch with the Acme's. FANTASTIC cabs, it just takes some power and some 'care' to get that amazing low end extension up to volume in a band setting. My general rule is plan to use double the Acme cabs to achieve the same overall volume as a high quality but more typically voiced cab. Of course, what you gain is massive, full, glorious low end extension (which is why the cabs have such low sensitivity), and if that is your goal, then these are pretty darn awesome. I actually preferred the FullRange to my old B210's. A bit more mid present with a more aggressive top end, which I like.

IMO and IME Not dogging these cabs at all. They are unique in every sense of that word. Just trying to put that uniqueness (both positives and possible negatives for some) in context!
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I gigged an Acme for 5 years mainly to get the lows
    of my active 5 bass happening. Incredible design for that purpose.
    Andy really knows his stuff & a great value for the price.
    I changed cab because of the music I was playing, hard rock.The cab is very neutral
    sounding like a stereo monitor & low SPL required some power to open it up.
    They make a great PA cab, sold mine to a blues player, he loves it.
  18. bassundergrace

bassundergrace

Overall Months later I still give my b-112 fullrange pair an A. It is different having uncolored speakers, but am thinking of going to an crown xls 2500 with the sansamp deluxe di or If find a better job the Demeter hpb1-800.
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You might consider one of FDeck's Hi Pass filter (I recommend the III). Not that expensive, and being able to chop off some of that deep bass extension will result in a combined increase in volume, punch, speaker safety and amp performance. Most rigs don't benefit much from additional external hi passing (unless you really want to eliminate significant low end as a sort of effect or total revioicing). In the case of the Acme cabs, just a touch of roll-off way down at 35hz makes a different. VERY good way to spend $125 for Acme fans (especially with some heads that pump out big lows). IMO.

Nice stack!
  20. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

So if I normally have (as an example) two Epifani 112's or two Berg 112's on a gig, are you saying I should plan on 4 Acme 112's to achieve the same overall volume as the others?
    Also, it sounds like something like a GK 1001RB or a GB Shuttle 9 (or something in that class of output) would not put out enough power to really get the Acme's to their optimal tone, or to fit in a mix. Many here are talking about LOTS of power here.

I totally get that these are uncolored and not unlike studio monitors. I'm just trying to get a handle on power requirements and how they might fit in a mix. Thanks for helping me understand here. :)
  21. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not quite that simple IMO and IME. So, if you have a typical 500 watt into 4ohm amp, then yes, two Berg 112's (8ohms each) will be much louder than two Acme's (8ohms each). If you put quite a bit more wattage into the Bergs', they won't get much louder. The Acme's will. However, you have to be careful, since there is a fine line between the wattage many use to really get the Acme's pumping and creasing the drivers.

That being said, if you have an amp with very good/musical limiting/power management like the Genz stuff, and pretty decent power, like the 9.2 series, then a stack of two of the Acme 112's will be pretty impressive. Not quite as loud as the equivalent Berg or Epifani 212 or the like, but much bigger low end.

Again, unique cabs IMO and IME that behave a bit differently and take a bit more knowledge, planning an 'finesse' to really get cranking in a loud, busy mix.